Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 438 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,531 Posts
Jim are they really that common in the states? I've only ever seen one when I was down there and I've never seen one up here before. We only got Mitsu here a couple years ago and I'm not sure if we ever got the Chyrsler Conquest up here

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Hey you guys I will see if the two turbo starions are still in the junkyard. I can't wait to see the results. I will let you know what I have come up with. as per RSDEO said... that if no one tries we would not know what the results are..

BTW... If the starion rims came in four lugs I would all over it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good info and possibilities on the Starion front hubs.

Even though the bearings may be the same, make sure that the spacing between the inner and outer is also the same.

The rear disc setup that I am working on for the Mk2 wusing 300ZX rear calipers is progressing, but I still have to sort out an issue with caliper clearance to allow legal rod registration here in Australia. One option is to keep the std setup until I clear this hurdle and then revert to the revised setup afterwards

Cheers

Michael Bachmann

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
bbaacchhyy said:
Good info and possibilities on the Starion front hubs.

Even though the bearings may be the same, make sure that the spacing between the inner and outer is also the same.

Michael Bachmann
That is the only thing that concerns me. That is why I need to pick up a set of hubs to try it.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
www.tristarion.com and www.starquestclub.com both have tons of info. There aren't that many Starquests around, but many go for next to nothing.

Norbie: Starions were available in Australia. They are flat bodied, as opposed to the wide body pic posted above, with a 2.0 4G63 variant. I don't believe they ever got the wheels posted above. They did, however, get the cool, scooped hood which was only available here in 1983.

Flat-bodies in the states at least are non-intercooled:

An Aussie Quest:

The caption from Star Quest Club:
"Sydney, Australia Starion enthusiast, Charles Sarkis
owns this fully rebuilt 1983 JA Starion. It has a 2L 4G63 Sirius
engine and currently does mid-13's at the track with a
stock turbo (TC06 11A). "

Not sure about those rims......

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes we did get the flat bodied Starions in Aus, but they are only 4 stud, not 5.

Only the later unleaded cars (the JD's) came with 15 x 7" rims.

And that Black Starion just goes to show how you can make a car ugly by fitting the wrong rims.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
**REARS**

Here is the info of the rears.

1982-1985 Toyota Supra rear wheel bearings.

Inner 0513898 ID is 44.7mm/ OD is 55mm/ Thickness 13mm
Outer 0513812 ID is 35mm/ OD is 60mm/ Thickness 16.70mm

1987-1989 Mitsubishi Starion rear wheel bearings

Inner 0513442 ID is 29.95mm/ OD 62mm/ Thickness 16mm
Outer 0513608 ID is 35mm/ OD is 72mm/ Thickness 17mm

We should be able to find the right bearing to make it all work.

I wonder if the starion axle is the same length and if our rear flange will fit it? We might get lucky.

The plot thickens.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
jdk_ii said:
Been there, done that. Slightly different length, different spline count, different rear inner hub mount and offset...
Jim

Do you have any of the measurements for the rears? How much different are the Starions from the MKII?

Did you try the front hubs?

If I'm not mistaken don't the early four bolt Starion/Conquests have a 4 bolt flange instead of the later 6 bolt?

Also does anyone know the diameter of the rear drive shaft on the Starion/Conquest? If it matches the MKII or is really close I could try mounting the CV joint from the Starion to the end of a MKII drive shaft. I have a spare set of good drive shafts sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Awesome work on the Photoshop pics!.. WOW is right! I've got two sets of those wheels put up myself.. :twisted: I think Chris Parvin wanted to end up with a set though, so my count now is one set. Gotta figure out how to get them on there! That is BEAUTIFUL!...

Scotty

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
**FRONT** update

Z31 hubs '84 to '89 use the same front bearings as the MKII.

Early NA cars were 114.3x4 and all Turbo/late NA cars were 114.3x5.

The Turbo Z31 hubs come in two distinct flavours that are interchangable, but change the disc mounting setup.

'84 to early '87 Z31 hubs have a disc setup that bolts the disc to the rear of the hub like the MKII. Wheel offset for these cars is +20.

Later '87 to '89 Z31 hubs have a disc setup that mounts the disc to the front of the hub like the MKIII. Wheel offset for these cars is +30.

Here is the early setup for NA and Turbo.

Notice the two different hubs.

I picked up a set of early Turbo hubs like the ones in the diagram and they seem to fit perfect on the MKII strut spindle without any play. I will have to do some checks, but everything looks good.

Now to work on the rears.

Oh, on a side note I also got one Z31 strut. The design of the strut is similar to ours, but will not mount to the flange on the ball joint of the MKII. Maybe the flange from the Z31 will mount to the MKII ball joint?

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
One thing I forgot to mention.

Just because the offset on the Z31 was +20 and +30 we should not expect the same on the MKII with the Z31 hubs. It all depends on fender and strut positioning with respect the hub.

I will make some measurements to get some numbers.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What about z31 rears?I've been following this, and I mentioned it to my friends, and he said I can have the entire suspension off his 88 n/a.
Just wondering if the rears and/or the spirng/shocks would be any good.

Cam

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
even though it's only a 4 lug. i do have acess to a 86 4lug 300zx.. i know it defeats the purpose

i think this is my 200th post! :D

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I don't think any of the Z31 suspension parts will fit the MKII.

The later NA Z31 should have 5 bolt hubs though, which you can use. Are you getting all the parts? Struts, hubs and rear lower contol arms? Also does that car have dual piston front calipers? If it does and you are getting all the parts those calipers should fit the MKII strut. Try the caliper with the Z31 hub and disc on the MKII strut. Might be a nice fit and no problems with wheel issues.

Here is a drawing of the rear axle assembly and lower control arm of the Z31.

Notice the design of the lower control arm. It looks very similar to the MKII. You will also notice that the axle flange is the four bolt version.

I will try finding out the bearing specs and sourcing these parts next week to see what we are dealing with.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Here are pics of the front 5 bolt swap with a Z31 front hub, a Z32 caliper and a disc from a PT Cruiser (of all cars). The disc needed the center hole machined out and for proper fit new holes need to be drilled to mount the disc to the bub, though the stock stud holes do work just the diameter is a little too big.

Disc dimensions are as follows.

Disc Diameter 280mm
Disc Width 23mm
Bolt Pattern 5X100mm. (Disc mount bolt circle, wheel bolt pattern on the hub is 5X114.3)

Now to get the rears sorted out.

21 - 40 of 438 Posts