1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name: Mitchell Crist
Email: [email protected]
Number: 828-458-0244

Ok so I guess this is one of my last interesting items for sale for the MK2 community. This is an exact cad drawing of a MK2 5-Lug rear stub. I didn't copy the MS123 rear stub I just copied a MA60 rear stub and changed the lug pattern. This is for the emachineshop program. You can visit their website which I think is emachineshop.com and get a run down of how it works. Its extremely simply, you load this file into their free program, select what substance you want it made out of (wood, plastic, tons of diff. metals), choose how many (more in a batch the cheaper) and click order and they make them for you. The reason I never had them made is I simply don't have the capitol to produce a large amount of these to reach a price cheap enough to make it feasible for everyone. I paid a professional cad engineer $630 to make this drawing, i'll sell it for $200 as a charity to the community.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And I know it doesn't render it in the first picture but there are splines in the drawing for the rear portion of the stub where the CV axle flange installs.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
my machining technologies roomate said u got ripped off if thats what u paid some smo to make for u. sorry man

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much should it have cost? And it is an exact replica of the stub, i'm not going to spend $5000 to show you a physical product so you can then tell me its crap too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've been in and around the CAD (2D & 3D) industry for more years than some of you are old, on this forum.

Having the dimensions, it would take me 30 minutes (if that), to do that part on Solidworks (a commonly used industry wide 3D application).

Did you get "ripped off"? Not if you did not have the skills to do it yourself.
I'm sure we're all "ripped off" by things we don't know how to do. (I don't like working on my roof, so I probably got "ripped off" by paying someone to re-roof it.)

TIP: Next time anyone needs a part created in 2D or 3D CAD, call a local college first. ...and remember, garbage in - garbage out, so make sure the part is properly dimensioned and toleranced, for the application.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea! Unfortunately my local college is kind of pathetic. And yes I had absolutely no idea what I was doing when it came to CAD and I wanted this done by a professional such as yourself. Plus he had to customize it to a degree as I didn't have a MS123 stub for him to copy, only a MA60. So he had to add the 5x114.3 bolt pattern to it. And yes it was a guy in california that told me $630. Having no one to ask if that was a good price I simply paid it because I knew that the ms123 stock was going to be gone eventually and this would be our only option. $200 to a small business like raptor racing etc... could be nothing compared to the profit they could make if they found an inexpensive company to produce these in larger quantities.

You all know that if it was a $500 option to buy a set of rear 5-lug stubs and there was a common fix for the front like Z31's or whatever we'd all buy them. 4 lug sucks for a supra chassis that can hold 7M-GTE's and JZ motors if not only for the wheel appeal.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
i say try it
q45 brakes are a direct fit and the rotor does not need to be machined ao an easy 5 lug for the front

·
Registered
92 Posts
that guy was feeding you a load of crap. tho323 is absolutely correct. im about to turn 24 and have been dealing with machining for almost 7 years now. been doing programing on mastercam 9 and 10. to change a drawing from 4 to 5 lugs is a matter of a few minutes.

and im not trying to rain on your parade, but most places that make their own parts, can usually reproduce something like this on their own and hove no need for someone else to sell them a drawing.

Good luck with it though, i'd be happy to see these reproduced in the future, if i dont make my own set first...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya well if my sale thread simply inspires someone else to build these on their own then im glad. I had no idea if these drawings would sell but I figured i'd try for the good of everyone. Who knows.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
to be honest, I considered going 5 bolt, I even bought a set of wheels, but stuff changed and the wheels didn't work with my brake swap. So I started looking at other options in 5 bolt and I'll tell you what, they're aint a hell of a lot of wheels that have the correct styling and offset to fit on our cars. 4x114.3 is actually quite a blessing after the searches I have done for wheels. Your either talking crazy expensive (like more than we have paid for our actual cars) or terribly poor offsets. Yes there could be a market for these stubs, but then your stuck finding a wheel combo to fit big brakes, a correct offset and a nice style. So unless these could be produced dirt cheap the market is going to remain a small handful.

Not worth it in MY opinion. Many will dis-agree. I re-drilled the rotors I plan on running on my car to 4 bolt. If your worried about breaking studs install some ARP studs in place. 1 wheel stud for sure will make less stress for the other 4, but if you think you could break ARPS as well your differential would have already exploded before you got that chance.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
You should post your parts on toyotacressida.net as some of our parts work on mx73 also. There are a few interested on 5 lug swaps. They use the mx83 fronts. But have yet to really find another way to the MS123 rear swap. There are people willing to spend money there. They have a few buying the Megan coil-over which is $1000. Don't think you will ever see anyone here pay that kind of price. Just a thought. Hope it helps. If it wasn't for the high cost to make, I'd buy.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
This is why you want to go 5 bolt.

There are other wheels out there too only available in 5 bolt not 4.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Sorry Jamie, my first set were crap too. You can refinish yours.

These Crown Vic. wheels fit nice too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts