Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Great write up Wes, and yes each item shown is available at 935 Motorsports.

One thing to mention is that if you were to go with the AGX MR2 Front Strut, it would use a screwdriver to adjust instead of knob. This would allow you to adjust it still while in the CUSCO plate.

The MR2 fronts are just a bit softer, but still very aggressive and much harder then the Tokicos.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Approximately a 1/8" D shaped shaft from what I can tell. If anyone has any ideas on waht to use I am all ears, I have been pulling the knobs off everything I see but no luck so far.

·
Registered
502 Posts
SlimFastSupra said:
The MR2 fronts are just a bit softer, but still very aggressive and much harder then the Tokicos.

When you say the mr2 fronts are just a bit softer, what are you comparing them too? It looks like you are saying they are much harder than the mk2 tokikos, but what are they softer than?

Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
front suspension

I like the way you mounted the front coilovers....what is the ride height with this setup? What is the difference in the lowering amount if you install the coilovers without cutting the sleeves?

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
I think it allows you about 3/4" with the full collars instead of the ones suited for stock perches.

Wes, I am going to grind down the standard knobs so they will fit down in there and put a slot for a flat-head and some sort of directional marker as well... I'll let you know once I get it together or visually show you what I'm talking about next month.

By the way, any autox's planned for the weekend of the FL meet? I might take you up on that co-drive offer.

--BillyM (has 450's for the black-sup)

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
he was comparing to rear mr2 struts. also. i have the tokcio illuminas and they use a small flathead to adjust. wes said the agx's are better so ill get a set of those next time.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just have a hatred of the Tokico brand name, after I wasted $200 on HP's. The Illuminas could be good. The best would probably be Koni.

There is an autocross at Gainesville raceway on the 20th, the same day as the Meet :-( It was originally scheduled for the 13th but just got rescheduled. I will probably choose the autocross over the meet because I don't have to drive 6 hours to do that, I need the points, and gainesville raceway is such an awesome place. Plus i pretty much have to be there since I am the worker chief for gainesville events. You are still welcome to co drive if you decide to stay in town. Screw drag racing, lets have the meet in Gainesville LOL.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
As usual Wes, great work!

On your coil over tops, you used the cut section of the stock upper mount...was this in the instructions for the QA1 coilovers? With my Ground Controls, I did not have to do that... To stop the strut from turning when tightening the strut nut I use a ground down 5/8" tappet wrench on the top of the strut shaft. Very narrow, but works well.

I hear you on the adjustment! I can't just grind down the one that came with my Koni's because it's a multi piece plastic jobby. I was just going to get some metal and make a tool. I guess one could just take an appropriately sized bolt and cut a channel on the end. That'd work...

So what are your impressions of the Focus shocks? And your rear springs are Eibachs still right?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Good writeup Wes!
In Rear Polyurethane Bushing Upgrade writeup, I noticed that you said "On the center 2 bushings Energy Suspension does not supply you with new sleeves, you will have to cut the sleeves out of your old bushings and reuse them on the new bushings. " I'm sure that you'll need to fab new bushing with correct O.D. if using PST bushing but not sure for Energy Suspension bushings.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
MikeD said:
Good writeup Wes!
In Rear Polyurethane Bushing Upgrade writeup, I noticed that you said "On the center 2 bushings Energy Suspension does not supply you with new sleeves, you will have to cut the sleeves out of your old bushings and reuse them on the new bushings. " I'm sure that you'll need to fab new bushing with correct O.D. if using PST bushing but not sure for Energy Suspension bushings.

I kow about that too. I used the new sleeves that I bought with the group buy, but when I looked at them both side by side they looked like the same size to me, I may go back in and add a note about that issue later, but I want to wait untill I clear up wether its a problem with the ES bushings or not.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
FWDsux said:
As usual Wes, great work!

So what are your impressions of the Focus shocks? And your rear springs are Eibachs still right?
I love them so far, they are alot stiffer than I thought they would be, my car does not squat at all now. I replaced the Eibachs in the rear with ST's about a year ago, I didnt like the progressive rate in the rear at all, the Tokicos couldnt control them at all when you were pushing it hard in a corner and the spring rate increased and it was very bouncy. They may work better for me now but I think the ST's are fine and I want to sell my Eibachs to recoup some money since I just spent a ton.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Are they better or stiffer than the Kyb Gas a Justs?

·
Registered
991 Posts
SupraWes said:
I just have a hatred of the Tokico brand name, after I wasted $200 on HP's. The Illuminas could be good. The best would probably be Koni.

There is an autocross at Gainesville raceway on the 20th, the same day as the Meet :-( It was originally scheduled for the 13th but just got rescheduled. I will probably choose the autocross over the meet because I don't have to drive 6 hours to do that, I need the points, and gainesville raceway is such an awesome place. Plus i pretty much have to be there since I am the worker chief for gainesville events. You are still welcome to co drive if you decide to stay in town. Screw drag racing, lets have the meet in Gainesville LOL.

Can you get some video? I had seen MkII drag race and only road race but had never seen one in auto crossing. Because here in St.Paul there only 1 other Celica Supra owner that I know that like to road race and autocross but he never made it to any event.

Plus the only thing I don't like about auto crossing is the Have to Help Staff part. Sometime it cool helping staff but after every run you just don't have time to inspect the car.

BTW nice write up. Bookmark it for future use. :D

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Awesome job Wes! Thanks for the effort, this is the kind of thing that makes this a great community! Do you feel there's an advantage using the QA1s over Ground Control coilovers? Construction? Price?
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
10,406 Posts
I think price would be the main if only one.

Hey, anyone know if yellow adjustable koni's will have the same problem with adjusting them as the kyb's do with the camber plates?

21 - 40 of 121 Posts