Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,292 Posts
do you have the konis? The konis have this big removalbe adjustment knob, I'm hoping it will fit in the hole. A friend is bringing his konis over this weekend so I'll try it out

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
My solution is to grind down one of the adjusting knobs so it fits into a small nutdriver. I will epoxy the center part of the adjuster in there. Then I will punch the numbers on the outside of the nutdriver that match the origianl adjuster and now I will have a fast accurate way to adjust the shocks.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Thanks Wes

Nice work I'll be looking that up when I switch over to my camber plates. Are you using and type of RCA?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
No I don't have RCA's. Thats about the only other thing I could do to my suspension.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
a note for some - the stock thread on the mk2 front strut inserts is a M14x1.5, but some strut inserts (like the koni yellows for mk2, which i have) use a different thread (in my case, M12x1.5) so you will need to remanufacture the 'nuts' that go thru the center of the spherical bearing on the camber plates with the proper thread out of 303 stainless or 4130 chromoly hex bar ( www.metricmetal.com carries metric hex bar in both materials)

or you could just use 7/8", but i dont like to have SAE fasteners on a metric car

·
Registered
298 Posts
do the rear AGX 8 way adjustables correct the negative camber angle that is present when the ST springs are installed? My Tockico's are blown to hell, and if i replace them i want a strut that will hopefully correct the negative camber, and this help greately with the handling.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
airwhirlybird said:
do the rear AGX 8 way adjustables correct the negative camber angle that is present when the ST springs are installed? My Tockico's are blown to hell, and if i replace them i want a strut that will hopefully correct the negative camber, and this help greately with the handling.
No, these shocks won't raise the car. Neither will any other shock/strut I can think of. It's the springs job to regulate ride height, hence you installed lowering springs, you got negative camber. So to restore proper rear camber you either need to raise the rear again or engineer some way to adjust rear camber (no factory adjustment).
HTH

·
Registered
298 Posts
so if i get these shocks, then if i re-install my stock springs then i could stiffen the shock, and this keep a good camber and keep the rear stiff? if i remember right ebiach makes custom springs, just maybe get a stiffer spring rate combined with the adjustable shocks. just looking for a way to get rid of the negative camber and keep the rear stiff for handling purposes.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
You want to match the spring rate to the shocks (vice versa).
Springs at stock height need to be over 200 lb to mate with most of the 'good' range of the AGX.

Eibach and ST are under 200 lb as I recall. Progressive rate springs though, so the manufacturer may throw a high 'advertising' number out.

Ken

·
Registered
298 Posts
so any web site that i can get custom springs? i know its been covered before, but when u search u get so much crap. it would be cool if someone could make my life a little easier. probally go with a 225-250# spring rate with 8 way adjustabe springs and stock ride height. am i on the right track?

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
airwhirlybird said:
...if i replace them i want a strut (you mean shock) that will hopefully correct the negative camber, and this help greately with the handling.
negative camber = good handling

--BillyM
resident camber-man. ....not some tire-wear wussie.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
negative camber = good handling

--BillyM
resident camber-man. ....not some tire-wear wussie.
Yeah but how much negative rear camber? I think front neg camber is more desirable. In the rear it hurts your contact patch and only gets worse on our cars when accelerating. I think this is bad, and not just for drag racing.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
[sarcasm]8 Way Adjustable Springs?[/sarcasm] Sorry, I'm a little loopy i've just come back from a long raod trip :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
sorry about all the typo's, like 8 way adjustable springs but sometimes when u type u just type the wrong thing. so how much negative camber do the ST produce. if i remember right i think that when i had the car aligned they said it was -2 in the rear. u do loose contact patch with negative camber, but i did seem to think that my handling was better since i had less body roll. does that small amount of neg camber increase handling in your guys oppion? sorry bout all the questions but if i am going to do anything to my car, i would rather not waste time with crapy parts and do it the right way (so thus i need advice). thankx again for all the help

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
You can add some spring spacers at the top of the ST springs and it works pretty good. I took 1 coil spiring spacer and cut it down the middle and put on half on top of each spring and it did quite a bit of good. I have no idea how much camber I had before and I dont know how much there is now but my point is you can add spacers untill you have positive camber if you want. or have custom springs made at a higher rate but full length.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts