Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well look at the picture and tell me what I did wrong or what I need to do to fix it!

and yes it is bolted in....:32:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
If everything is bolted down in the correct place, I would just cut the floor a little forward.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Does the drive shaft fit properly?!? If it does then just cut then cut out the rectangular section with the bolt holes, flip it around and weld it back in. But then the center console might not fit the best ever though.

·
POTATO
17,252 Posts
yeah the front part of the shifter hole has to be cut out, as well as the correct FRONT part of driveshaft AND correct tranny mount, both from 5 speed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. Yea I have the mount from the 5 spd in it and the front section of the driveshaft inplace. I just wanted to make sure this was normal!

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
yep, normal. The back two holes will work with the 5spd shift boot but the front two will have to be drilled. Its nice if you take the time to weld nuts on or reweld the section you cut out further up, fits like a stock 5spd then.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
That's cool if anyone was to swap in an R154.

I have an completely rust free auto '85 Ltype stored in my garage. One spare W58 and one R154. Couldn't decide which one to go with, but now it looks like with an auto to manual swap the R154 will work really nice.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
well you'll have to notch the body to fit the r154 and the shifter will never be centered, but supposedly with a JK short throw shifter the back end of the shifter surround doesn't need to be trimmed. The real question though is do you need the r154? If you plan to make more then 350 to the wheels go for it, but otherwise its really not worth the heft or PITA of dealing with. Plus w58s shift a little nicer.

Sorry to get offtopic.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
It would also be good for those with a MK3 W58.

I have the auto mount because the car's an auto. I have the R154 and two JK short shifters. No notching needed, just some sledge hammer work. It will be hooked up to a 7MGTE or xUZ so there will be power.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
you'll still have to notch the body around the shifter hole for the r154, but at least you can avoid butchering your shifter surround.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts