Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The real Toyota Supra isn’t here yet, but the GR Supra Racing Concept that just debuted is making enthusiasts hungry for any Supra information they can get their hands on.

Although the press release on the racing concept was low on information regarding a production model, AutoGuide.com was able to sit down with Tetsuya Tada, Toyota’s chief engineer, at a roundtable discussion (and at dinner) to learn more. Fun fact, he’s also the man behind the Toyota 86.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI2qj2QB62Q&feature=youtu.be
Read more about the 5 Things About the New Toyota Supra They Didn’t Tell You at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Still am (& probably always will be ) in love with the Mk II body style... not only for the styling... but for the fact I can fit Regular Hockey equipment PLUS Goalie equipment, PLUS a 2nd person.... in a "Sports Car"

Also have fit a 4 ft high Dresser.... so IMHO... the Mk II was the best combination of Styling & functionality....

If they made a Supra with styling similar to a MK II (& I won a Lottery, LOL) I'd be all over that...

Until then... it'll be MK ...Forever til I die, LOL

Just my .02 cents, LOL...

Cheers,

·
Registered
128 Posts
Still am (& probably always will be ) in love with the Mk II body style... not only for the styling... but for the fact I can fit Regular Hockey equipment PLUS Goalie equipment, PLUS a 2nd person.... in a "Sports Car"

Also have fit a 4 ft high Dresser.... so IMHO... the Mk II was the best combination of Styling & functionality....

If they made a Supra with styling similar to a MK II (& I won a Lottery, LOL) I'd be all over that...

Until then... it'll be MK ...Forever til I die, LOL

Just my .02 cents, LOL...

Cheers,
Amen!

·
Registered
15,021 Posts
I wonder when/if Toyota will actually produce a real Toyota sports car instead of some other companies car with a Toyota badge. So far they have a Subaru and BMW in the lineup. Whats next, a Chevy?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
To be fair, out generation is not 100% toyota. Granted having the heads developed by Yamaha is a bit differnt than what we are getting recently.
Guess the R&D is going somewhere else.
My take is that they are playing a bit of catch up to the Nissan Z. I like the styling of the new Supra better but a NISMO Z has my interest more and Nissan has kept the pricing reasonable for what you get. Not sure what the pricing will be but can't imagine it will be cheap.

·
Super Moderator
8,270 Posts
At least the BRZ/FR-S/86 have some Toyota parts content. Best I can tell this BMW Supra is 100% BMW except for maybe the badging. There's some photos floating around now of the engine and it looks like a run of the mill 3 series motor. Unfortunately it looks like this thing is going to get it but kicked by Camaro and Mustang V6s at half the price.....

·
Super Moderator
10,488 Posts
Well hard to say, there's no firm info on the pricing yet. But being a BMW it won't be cheap of course. However, it shouldn't be slow. The production prototype they ran at Goodwood was pulling pretty hard. Check out this vid, about half way thru it does a couple launches and its lifting its front end quite a bit....
https://youtu.be/TiUKTgWDfPM

Engine bay video too before that.

So I've been following supramkv.com and the development of this car quite a bit. I'm non't really interested in acquiring one ever (because its not a Toyota, and it doesn't really seem like its going to be much more then a modern reincarnation of the mk4), but its super interesting and exciting to watch a new supra get developed and released. There have been some great interviews with the Toyota project lead posted there, and a Toyota insider has been dropping some nuggets around the board too. While its true this car is going to be 100% BMW manufactured parts unlike like the FRS, Toyota has been involved in its development far more then you'd think. For instance every part they produced for it they have been shipping dozens of copies over to Toyota Japan to run all of their stress and durability tests on. Many changes have been made to the tooling and part design from feedback from Toyota. Also, Toyota was concerned that the closed deck aluminum block B58 twin turbo 6 they were going to use wouldn't leave enough headroom for the Supra community to play with, so apparently the Supra at least is getting a unique version of the B58 with an all iron block.

We'll see what it costs and what the final stats are, but the pricing of the last Z4 is probably a good guess. This thing should be a more bare bones car then the last z4, hopefully it will be cheaper then its BMW counterpart. Stock for stock it might not be a bargain, but the aftermarket that builds up around it may make it a monster. I'm hopefully. It sounds like the new chassis is super stiff and handles great, and the car is actually a lot smaller then the mk4 so if we get a new supra that's got decent reliability, ok pricing and excellent handling with lots of tuning potential, it could do quite well.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Good Grief!

Not exactly made for the do-it-yourselfer is it?

https://www.motor1.com/news/273001/toyota-supra-race-car-spied/

I realize that when the bottom line is performance, you do what you have to do to. But for those who like to think they can at least change the oil.... good luck.
The whole point of an image car is to make it aesthetically pleasing both outside and under the hood.
Another sign that I'm now an old man.

Put that plastic shroud back on!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Look how well that hood is sealed. Our cars are not sealed well at all in that regard, really makes the CF hoods flap at speed because of all the wind doing whatever it wants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts