Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to drop a 7mgte into my sup this winter and am contemplating rebuilding the 5m and putting it in the 4runner I am getting. I figured that if the 5m was going to be open then I may as well make it a 6m if I can.

My question is if I take a crank rods and pistons from a 7mge and put them into the 5m will I essentially have a 6m? Is this possible, will the parts fit directly and is there anything to watch out for? If it is cheeper then getting a JDM 6m and will be completely rebuilt then why not right.

Sean

·
Registered
189 Posts
i'm not positive but someone on this will be able to correct me from my mistake's. but i belive a 6m has a differnt bore than the 5m so the 5m would have to be bored to fit those parts. but i don't belive you can actually bore a 5m that far without getting too risky. i'm not to positive on this and i'm going to be buying the 6m longblock assembly i've found a few ranging from like 400-700 dollars which they will prolly need a rebuild. and then the shipping cost's. so it depends on really waht you want to do and how much your looking to spend. everything you wanna do is limited by how much money your willing to spend. well if i'm wrong someone please correct me so i can fix the knowledge that i think is right. thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
6m same bore different strok ie longet rods...
will

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so does that mean I should just use the 5m pistons?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 6M has a longer stroke and SHORTER rods, so the 6/7M crank and rods have to be moved into the 5M block. I have never seen this tried but I hear there are clearance problems with the 6/7M crank counterweights and the block. Some areas may have to be ground out to make it fit. Then there is the balance issue if the 5M pistons don't weigh the same as 7M pistons.
It seems pretty time consuming to me,...
How much labor $$$ do you want to pay yourself?
The JDM 6M seems more cost effective. The torque increase is worth it though. I would think even moreso in a 4X4.
Jamie

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
or if you can hold on a 7M shortbock and 5M head and pistons... you could make a 6M out of it...

this subject is on the 6M forum right now....

http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2313

I am building an engine for my frined....

I am using a 7MGTE block, rods, crank
as for the other parts.... it would be 5M parts.... pistons are 5M 0.020 over from stock and it is from a earlier 5M versions the 8.8:1 pistons to make the compression to 9.2:1 as per the 6M measurements bacause of using the larger stroke of the engine.

if you want to get a hold or any questions on my engine build-up of a 6M from scratch.... email me at [email protected]

BTW.... the egnien shotblock is almost done... pistons, rods and crank are all in...

JAY

1 - 6 of 6 Posts