Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 6m oil pan drain hole is was leaking (pouring!) oil cause of messed up threads. I decided to install another oil pan I acquired from someone on the forum stating its from a 5m. After laying on my back and doing all the prep work with poor tools, I proceed to install the 5m oil pan only to find out that its bottoming out with the oil pick-up screen thus not even mating with the block. GRRRR... Ive been searching for any info on this but fail to find anything. I managed to find the difference between the two. The windage tray on the 5m oil pan is almost at the top edge where the 6m's tray is about 3/4 of inch lower from the edge. I thought it didnt make a difference between these two, Anyone has any info on this?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
That someone gave you the early style 5M oil pan, you need the later style 5M oil pan.

·
POTATO
17,252 Posts
6M pans, the majority of them are midsump. You need a front sump pan.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
U mean the big "hump"? Both pans I have, have the front hump. I had the old (6m) one running on the car. I had them laying side by side on the ground trying to find any difference's. After a long examination, thats when I noticed the windadage trays. They have the same conf. but on pan(6m) it seems a bit deeper than the 5m. In other words.. theres an extra 3/4 inch from the windage to the top edge of the pan. I did not have a tape measure which could've made this easier but its the first time I see this.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thxs, Tanya and 83CelWa for ur help. Now if anyone has a nice 85' oil pan hit me up!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you looked into fixing your original pan? I would like to think it could be fixed seeing how I made alotta dough off Wal-Mart cross-threading oil plugs!!! And that's news to me as far as the year difference. Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hmmmm... interesting..

i was under the imperssion that the "M" engine block were the same..

it may be that you would also have to use the oil pick up from the same motor..
i've swopped many oil pans & always used the pick up from the motor the pan was from....

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
yes M series are the same however
smaller front oil pump and pan on 82's through 84
85 to 86 used a higher volume oil pump and a deeper oil pan

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My "bad" oil pan has a deep "ding" on the edge of the plug hole. Im guessing it was siliconed in order to hold the previous oil. First time I change the oil on this engine myself. I just ordered a new pan, after seeing the junk that sticks to the bottom i decided to go this route. Its a +plus+ knowing 85' and 86's have higher volume oil pump & oil capacity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts