Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got a quick question, but first I'll give you a little background on my prob.

My 84 MKII which I bought in October developed a serious timing retard probelm eventually resutling in the car not being drivable.

The consensous was it was the keyway on the timing gear/pully.

I pulled the front end apart yesterday (first nice day I could work on car) and got the cam cover off and moved the crank with 19mm socket and found there was definatley play between moving the crank and the movement on the cams.

So I poped the crank bolt off (was only like at 50ftlbs or less!!) however I could not the crank pully/balancer off.

First question:
Would a pully puller from canadian tire do the job or do I need to use something else? I only ask becuase one of the guys in the toronto Supra club managed to break two of these in a row during removal and they cost like $585 new from the dealer.

Second question:
Does anyone have a main timing gear they could sell me, I don't relish the idea of paying $70 to buy a new one, but everyone telly me when the keyway goes it usually wrecks the gear as well. The keyways arnt a big deal only $2 a peice at dealer.

Thanks for your input

Digilog

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
First Question:

a pulley puller would work well, rarely do they cause it to break and i've never had a problem when using one. I do know that when i bought my 84 and went to do a timing belt replacement i noticed the harmonic balancer had a bunch of chips in it. Found out someone had used pry bars to remove it......lol good luck

Second Question:

Sorry man i don't have one!?!?![/quote]

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same problem on my '83, the balancer/pully wasn't torqued right (I got to it before anything broke thank god) and I think that somehow caused the timing gear to get stuck on real good. We had another long block around with a gear to use if we broke it, so we went ahead micky mouse style and use some soft wood and a prybar to get it off. DO NOT DO THIS! the rims of the gear are sperate pieces, pressed on, and are very flimsy - we messed it up and replaced it. A regular puller isnt going to work because the crank is in the way, you'll probably need a larger one thean the cheap cdn tire ones I've seen. Remember not to grab it by those edges.

I thought I had another one of these things lying around too - I'll look for it. Is yours the square or round belt-tooth?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe they are the round teeth, but I am in Lindsay away from my baby in St. catharines or I could tell you. If you find one that would be awsome. I picked up a puller this aft at cdn tire, it has the normal puller feature but can also hook to the inside of a pully or gear to bring it out, is there an opening on the inside of the gear that you remember?

Thanks again

Carl

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Jay,

Any luck finding a timing gear?

I am in Lindsay today till tomorrow driving back to St. Catharines, where in Canada are you? if your in the GTA I can stop buy and hook you up with some cash for one.

Thanks

Carl

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have one off of an 85 motor, so it should be round tooth. I'll have to pull it off if you want it (no big deal..car is half apart anyways.)

Christian

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for the offer but I just got a pully from a wreker for 20 bones it came right off no problem. However I am having serious problems removing the old timing gear from my car, puller just shreds the gear like Jay mentioned. I wasnt worried cause it is oldbadpully, but Icant get it off!! any idea's?

Thanx

Carl

·
Registered
72 Posts
When they replaced my belt, they used a pry bar that was about four ft. long when it was on a lift. That method results in a chipped pulley, if you are not careful. My 86' has slipped the timing mark (on the harmonic balancer), so I will be doing it soon. I've got a spare on another block, but the Dealer says the replacement part for a new one is about $400.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts