Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything REALLY REALLY different about the bottom half of the 5M engines between the two? I really need a flywheel for a W-58 and the only flywheel I have is on the 5M-E engine. Can I use it? Is it exactly the same? (Hypothetically speaking) Could I rebuild the bottom end of the 5M-E and put an 5M-GE head on it and go from there? What does and doesn't interchange? This should be a good one for you guys to work your Supra MOJO over... hehehe

Scotty

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Actually there isn't a great deal that will interchange between a 5M-E and 5M-GE. You could put a GE head on your 5M-E, but you'd have to swap so many components you'd nearly need a complete 5M-GE to begin with, so why bother?

The flywheel is a direct swap though. :)

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Scotty,

As Norbie mentioned, it's going to be a big headache. Just putting a 5MGE head onto a 5ME motor is going to be a MAJOR PAIN... especially converting all of the front gears. Remember, the 4ME/5ME has a timing chain, the 5MGE has a timing belt.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But the biggest thing I was concerned about was the flywheel. Will it interchange? If so, that will keep me from having to try to buy one from someone. Get me an answer back on that one if you can. that is the most important part of what i was wondering. The rest was for shits and giggles I guess you could say... :p

Scotty

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DOH! :oops: I missed that line in your post, guess I overlooked it and thought it was part of your sig. :roll: I appreciate the info though!

Scotty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts