Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hiya ZZT231

In the manual for the 5M-E it says to set it to 16 Degree's and 10 Degree's for the 5M-GE engine. I don't know what mine is set to but I'm assuming it's around 16...I always get it done by my mechanic. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
ZZT231 said:
Hey All,

I can't remember but what should the timing for a Aust. Spec 5M-E be? Currently it is set of 15 Degrees TDC running LRP. Have i set it wrong?

Cheers.
Not really related to timing at al, but have you tried running it on premium at all? IMO LRP is crap. I believe the 5m-e should be able to run ok on premium..

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yes, a 5M-E is quite happy on unleaded fuel. LRP is crap and should be avoided if possible. You'll find it will probably run OK on regular unleaded (mine did), but if it pings just use premium.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmm, funny you should mention that because I didn't even know you could use Leaded petrol in them. I've been using Regular Unleaded ever since I got the car. Just recently I've switched to Premium Unleaded - The 98 Octane fuel from BP...seems to run a bit better...milage is better that's for sure...

ZZT231, 15 - 16 BTDC is fine, mine is at 16 now. Just make sure your idle is at 800rpm in Neutral...you should switch to unleaded fuel though... :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The Mk2 was released before unleaded petrol was available in Australia (circa 1986). That's why our version has no O2 sensor or cat. It's probably also why we got stuck with the 5M-E while the rest of the world got the much better 5M-GE. :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
don't complain; you guys get 98 octane! here in california, we have to make do with 92 tops :!:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Australia uses a different scale to measure octane, so we don't have it as good as you think! In Australia (and most of the developed world) RON is used to measure octane. In the US the measurement is "Anti-Knock Index" (AKI) which is an average of RON and MON. From memory your 92 octane fuel is roughly equivalent to our 98 octane fuel.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We might get 98, but that's RON, I believe the US uses a different rating system, MON perhaps?

I think I've read somewhere, I can't remember where though, that our 98RON is the equivalent of your 92MON. Does anybody know for sure?

edit: you beat me to it Norbie!

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey All,

Done the timing a week back now another question... where should i get an emission test (going to Toyota Service Center a good idea?). The Dyno down the road charges $100 for half a day and when i get the car back it would have consumed half a tank (from a full tank and only done 30Kms :mad: ) and they don't tell me what the car is running nor back to factory spec...

What should the O2 readings be and what other gas reading should i know? Or know a place in Melbourne that is good with this stuff?

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
hmmm, i've always run my 5M-E on mobil and ampol premium unleaded. i was thinking of trying the LRP just to see how it would go.

which brings me to thinking that because we run premium unleaded in our cars.. should we be running a cat convertor? (mines not!)

it says in my car handbook that the 5M-E should be only run on 98octane Unleaded.. but its a pretty versitile engine and runs on just about anything but orange juice :D

i seem to get a fairly bad pinging sound when i run on regular unleaded too.

by the way.. when are the MA61's of South east queensland getting together? Jambouree is comming up isnt it?

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mAcr0s said:
hmmm, i've always run my 5M-E on mobil and ampol premium unleaded. i was thinking of trying the LRP just to see how it would go.

which brings me to thinking that because we run premium unleaded in our cars.. should we be running a cat convertor? (mines not!)

it says in my car handbook that the 5M-E should be only run on 98octane Unleaded.. but its a pretty versitile engine and runs on just about anything but orange juice :D

i seem to get a fairly bad pinging sound when i run on regular unleaded too.

by the way.. when are the MA61's of South east queensland getting together? Jambouree is comming up isnt it?
Sorry Marcos,

I am not living in South East Queensland so i woundn't be able to tell you about the Jambouree...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts