Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused all the heads I've seen for the 5m are 12 valve but I keep hearing about a 24 valve, if so is the head a direct bolt up? and how much better would it be for a 5m-gte

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
the 24v head is off the 7m. You can bolt the 24v head on the 5m block without interference problems, as MikeL once did. However, technically, the 5m pistons only have 2 vlave reliefs.

Christian

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Just to clarify, Mike Lewitz is running the 5m head on the 7mgte bottom end. This allowed him to retain the 5m electronics, increase displacement, and take advantage of the oil squirters in the 7mgte block.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Just to clarify, Mike Lewitz is running the 5m head on the 7mgte bottom end. This allowed him to retain the 5m electronics, increase displacement, and take advantage of the oil squirters in the 7mgte block
DOH! :crazyeye: I got it backwards! Sorry. If it works one way, I wonder if it work the other?

Christian

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Supposedly it will work, but then there is the big question of WHY? You would have to do all the same wiring you would have to do for the 7mgte swap, you would give up displacement, you would give up the oil squirters, etc :( . Probably why we haven't heard of anyone doing this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

thanks for the jelp in clearifiying the differences. i saw a pic of a celica xx the japan version of the celica supra and it had a decal that said 2.8L 24v but maybe it was the 5m block with the 7m head anyways thanks alot

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You sure it didn't say 2.5L? That could be an emblem from a 1JZ powered car.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
actually, ive heard of people using the 5m crank in 7m's in japan. it allows the motor to rev higher and with a lower compression you can run more boost, and still make the same, if not more power. guess it depends on how you drive the car.
william

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: thanks

supraslider said:
thanks for the jelp in clearifiying the differences. i saw a pic of a celica xx the japan version of the celica supra and it had a decal that said 2.8L 24v but maybe it was the 5m block with the 7m head anyways thanks alot
If it said that then it's not a factory sticker. I have seen XX's with a "Twin Cam 24 Valve" sticker on them, I *think* some of the later ones had the 1g-ge put in them. I know the earlier ones came with the 1g-e single cam version.

I'll leave it to Chris E to correct me ;)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
82Spearco said:
Supposedly it will work, but then there is the big question of WHY? You would have to do all the same wiring you would have to do for the 7mgte swap, you would give up displacement, you would give up the oil squirters, etc :( . Probably why we haven't heard of anyone doing this.
William hit this on the head. Destroking has ALOT benefits for a motor. More revs, quicker wind-up, lower compression, (in some cases) more low end torque.... GM and Ford both recently did this... GM with the LS-1 (when destroked became the 5.4L) or the Ford 5.3 (?), which was a 351 Windsor...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hmmm, then why hasn't anyone done this?

·
Registered
174 Posts
so... If I were to get a 7m-gte... I could salvage my 5m crank to use for in the 7m? because I would see how finding a decent crank from a 5m would be tedious, but since I have that bottom end that doesn't make noise already... :D

personally I love short stroke, high reving engines... just more fun period, whether theres more power or not. And boost is scary, scary is good, so more boost would be better. I'm glad I came accross this thread.

could anyone estimate what kind #'s (revs/boost/hp improvements) would be possible with this destroking preformed while still retaining the rest of the bottom end from the 7m?

I really want to go turbo ever since my friend turbocharged his rust ridden datsun pickup and smokes everyone with it.

Yeah, I know... I change my mind more than I change gears.

mk3s are a dime a dozen around here, and most of them are dead in a yard... I could find a decent 7m-gte much faster than a 1UZ. v8s are cool, but boost is scarier!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
RobMK2 said:
mk3s are a dime a dozen around here!
Ok, whereabouts are you?

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
what kind of numbers do you folks suppose you could get from a 7mgte bottom end with a 5mge head?
N/A? Turbo?

also, is it really so simple as it seems?
pull the head and intake, remove 5m, drop 7m under the head, then bolt it back down?

retain all factory wiring and plumbing??

damn, im glad as hell i read this thread, this might be just what im looking for.

*still wants a 1uz...*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts