Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, summer is almost here and I'm really gonna try to do something with the two extra 5M-GEs I have sitting in my shop. I figure between the two I should be able to rebuild one real good motor. I would love advice from anyone on any of the following:

Stuff that commonly wears that I should watch,

Any good ideas for mods I should do suring the rebuild,

Any wierdo areas or tools I might need (anyone who has had to go looking for the tool for that one stupid torque screww on the 22R intake manifold knows what I mean)

Anything I might want to do during the rebuild that would facilitate turbocharching the motor at some point.

Thanx in advance for any input

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you are going to Turbo the motor definatly put a metal head gasket on. Be sure to have the head decked to an almost mirror finish and have the block inspected closley if not decking it also. From the research I have done (I am doing the conversion now) your stock pistons are good for 8-10 PSI. Some have gone to 12 but I dont intend to try it.

Spend the extra money and have the rotating mass balanced. Also make SURE and have the crank polished no matter what the shop says. I did a rebuild 20K ago and blew my HG (detonation). I tore it all down and my bearings are worn ennough for me to replace them. I did not polish the crank per the shops recomendation. I am now using a new machine shop (had a couple more issues with them).

While you have the engine out put in a quality clutch assy and bearings. Napa is probably the best for your corner parts store but if you are going to turbo it get an ACT or something similar. Make sure you surface the flywheel before you balance the rotating mass.

I suppose you could have the head, intake and ex manifold ported while it is off. I am electing not to do it but I could change my mind at any time.

As far a the head... have the shop inspect the guides and replace as needed. A 3 way grind should be done no mater what.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts