Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the entire ignition setup, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, aftermarket hi-po coil, aftermarket ignitor. the timing is at aprox. 15* BTDC and will not start. I can get it to start if i set it about 20* BTDC, but it runs really crappy (duh!). i checked cam timing, and it is right on. At one point, I had it running and took it for a drive. Sometimes, it would have no power and wouldn't even rev at all. Sometimes it would have good power, like rubber burning power. It fluxuated and would change randomly. Since then I replaced the plugs and ignitor, now it wont fire. WTF? I'm at my wits end here. I think the fuel pump may be playing games with me, so that's my next item to check. ANY suggestions you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
This may sound dumb, but did you reverse the distributor?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, the distributor is set right on. i'm using a GM HEI module for the ignitor pickup and an Accell Super Coil. I am getting huge spark, and lots of it. I checked the fuel pump and it appears to be working correctly. It simply will not start. I can crank on it and nothing happens. I think its a fuel delivery issue at this point, but I'm not sure what. Possibly the ECU is bad, or the TPS? This car is gonna get itself rolled off a cliff soon if it doesn't start behaving.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Sam,

Replacing the ECU "might" fix the problems, but it could also BE the actual problem. Didn't you mention that you did not originally replace the ECU, therefore, you are still running the 5ME ECU??? What year motor is the 5MGE, was it a 82 or??? And you are still running the A43D Automatic that originally came with the car???

Can't remember if I have access to any 82 5MGE Automatic ECU's at the moment. Will have to check again the next time I'm at the yard.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the ECU is out of my car, an '81, and is original. The engine is from an '83, the distributor is from an '82. It is supposed to work, I talked to another fellow who is running an '80 ECU and wiring harness with an '82 engine. The thing is, sometimes it will run, sometimes it wont. It would run good, then crappy, then not run, then good again. Now, it wont start :mad:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P.S. the fuel filter is nearly new. This is getting really frustrating.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pressure then?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No........what's the best way to do that, I'm guessing I should try that before getting a new pump? Pull a line and see what up?

I've basically narrowed it down to like 3 things:
1. fuel pump
2. ECU
3. AFM?
4. this one......I'm embarrased to admit, but I was thinking about it, and it's quite possible that my car is............out of gas. I'm trying that first.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You can hook a fuel pressure gauge up to the rail and see if you have pressure.

...or you can just pull the pump and short it to see if it runs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the fuel pump works, the car WILL NOT START. :x :x :x

My options are down to:
1. ECU
2. AFM
3. ???

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I have a spare 5sp and 5sp ECU if you want to get rid of the slushbox. I think I *might* be able to get an auto ECU, but I'd have to check with the person to see if she still has it.

Also, I'm in Corvallis a lot (everyweekend) if you want a second set of eyes.....or the tranny and ECU. Lemme know

Nick

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i might be interested in swapping in the 5 speed later down the road, but as far as ECU goes, its an ecu from an MKI, not an MKII. i believe the connections are entirely different. The car is in newberg, but if I ever get it running it will end up in corvallis with me while I'm at school. The general concensus i'm getting now is the ECU is bad. I'm headed to the junkyard I guess.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If you swap the ECU from a Mk II, I would also swap in the post '83 distributor, and just go all the way with it... that way you won't have any compatability problems...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It runs now. It wasn't the ECU, I tried one out of an older car and no difference. I have no idea what it was. I was messing around with a bunch of wires around the ECU area and pulled *something* off. Now it starts and runs. I don't know, I don't ask, it works.

Now.........
It wont start at 10* BTDC. I drove it some with the timing set there, and I shut it off and couldn't get it started again until I retarded the timing. I think its at about 12-15* BTDC right now. It also pukes fire quite regularly (all I have for exhaust is the header pipe right now). Also, it between idle and about 1/8 throttle, it runs like it has a huge miss, but once i open it up a bit, it runs nice and smooth after that, revs good, etc. It also smokes like it is running rich.

I think the TPS may need to be replaced, its the original one from the 5M-E and I think it has issues. Beyond that, the car *seems* to be running good, I think the engine just needs to be run (it has sat for some 10 years).

·
Registered
102 Posts
If I were you, I would really consider changing the ECU and any other mismatched parts to match the 5M-GE. Sounds like you have a lot of gremlins, and starting with the proper setup would probably help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts