Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor 85 L-type... When I first got the engine put back together she was dumping fuel out of the two front injectors. After a trip to NAPA all the fuel gets to the pistons. Now, I have fuel and compression, but I have no spark.

This car ran last summer when the previous owner tore down the motor to put a head gasket in. Now I get nothing. It looks like all the connections are made and that everything is in good shape, but...

How do I test the coil? Where is the ignition relay? On the MK II is there a fusable link or fuse for just the ignition system or is it all engine electric?

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For clarification, I have no spark to the plugs. I don't really know how to test the coil or distributor. I've got the ohm meter, but I don't know what to read or what the connections should have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The coil is working!!!

How do I check my distributor before I run out and buy one? I want to make sure this sin't the cap or rotor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the coil is putting out spark, and my rotor is spinning, then I should have spark, right?

Please let me know what simple thing I have overlooked. I'm lost.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I got her running... for seconds at a time. I was missing an engine ground. My timing is still off and I'll re-check all my vac lines, but thats not a huge thing.

Now, while in the process of starting the car my pos battery cable got hotter than hell and melted part of the rubber cover. I'm assuming this is another engine ground somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look?

·
Registered
794 Posts
I believe there is a ground twords the rear going from the fire wall to the cam towers and another on the front either by the alternator or the same area on the other side of the engine. I can look when I get home for the specific locations. My engine is half out already.

Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be great. Thanks.

I bought the car from someone who already had it torn apart. I'm trying to put it together without having the experience from disassembly.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The other ground goes from the left motor mount to the fuse box behind the battery (2 wires, one small one big).

Oh, another one that is on the bell housing by the starter (this is an important one!) and one more on the tranny.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If the rotor is spinning but is cracked or badly worn, you might not have spark. Also, check the main ignition lead, off the coil. If its bad, no sparky sparky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts