2.5 inch intercooler
3 inch downpipe
255 Federal RSR tires
Microsquirt on E85
16~ degrees timing
AFRs are mid 11s

First pass I hooked and it went 13.3 at 105 with 10.8 psi of boost

I upped boost on 2nd run and a clamp failed in 4th gear

3rd run it held but launch was not good to much clutch slip but a 107.77 trap seems pretty good for the setup
Peak pressure of 190kpa or 13psi but average was around 12.5psi log is posted
84mph in the eighth mile is good. 4.30 gears are too short for a turbo car

115 degree heat here in phoenix track DA was over 6,000 feet at 10pm
My guess is at low DA and with 3.73 gears it would trap 110+ easy maybe 112
I was 6500rpm at the end of the strip it would be much better if I could load up the gears a bit more

Log on last pass

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very well done. So what gears have you got now where you are hoping 3.73's would help that much?
I have 4.30s and I am maxing out 4th gear at 6500rpm
cant really push 5th gear on a w58 as it is pretty weak compared to the other gears
with 3.73s I can keep the 5m in its powerband for longer
Other option is cams to shift the power band up

·
Premium Member
5,499 Posts
Maybe a taller tire with the same gears. 4.10 would be better for drag racing for you. A taller gear ratio wouldn't smoke the tires as much. See your reaction times? It's a tough game.
The clutch was slipping in the 3rd run? Not the tires?
Isn't 6,700 RPM at the 5M limit?

I need help reading your MS Log.
The TPS readings looks like you backed off in first gear during the slipping clutch?

Your car is very fast! Thanks for posting! The video was a real treat.:good::thumbsup::good:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MS log has the burnout so that is why the non 100% tps early on.
The four 100% TPS loads are the run itself
Clutch slip on launch I would rather slip the clutch a bit vs blow a rear end or axle
First run with the 2.0 60' I did more of a aggressive clutch slip and it hooked better
2nd run(99mph pass) I did more of a dump but got a bit of wheel hop which is what breaks parts.

6750 is the rev limiter but the 5m falls on its face after 5900~ I think due to the tiny cams that have nearly zero overlap.
Tires are 255 40 17 which should make them 1% larger than stock or so.

1st pass video which is 2 degrees less timing and 2~ psi less boost vs the other pass
other car is a 425whp 240sx

·
Premium Member
5,499 Posts
ANOTHER VIDEO????
Boyeeeeee!
I see the MS log makes a bit more logic,now.
Drag racing IS a tough game.

I see the the TPS is PEGGED between shifts.
You ran it ALL OUT.
Looks like you had some fun in the Arizona heat.
It's adrenaline rush,ain't it?
Yup.

·
Registered
49 Posts
AWESOME!

Are you bringing your car to the Vegas meet? A bunch of us AZ people are going!

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
Seems like a lot of timing for a turbo motor, but you do have the megasquirt going for ya, I have my 6m turbo at 10 degrees right now, but i'm on the stock ecu, rev it out to about 6800 -7000 rpm in 4th and when you get to 5th it'll be closer to the powerband, it wont hurt it

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seems like a lot of timing for a turbo motor, but you do have the megasquirt going for ya, I have my 6m turbo at 10 degrees right now, but i'm on the stock ecu, rev it out to about 6800 -7000 rpm in 4th and when you get to 5th it'll be closer to the powerband, it wont hurt it
16 all in is pretty low for E85
Stock ECU on 10 base timing without timing control will run up to like 22 degrees at higher rpm
You have a knock retard box like a boost timing master?
I would like to use 5th gear but its such a weak gear in the w58. It should be treated as a 4 speed with an OD gear for cruising

How much boost you running?

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
16 all in is pretty low for E85
Stock ECU on 10 base timing without timing control will run up to like 22 degrees at higher rpm
You have a knock retard box like a boost timing master?
I would like to use 5th gear but its such a weak gear in the w58. It should be treated as a 4 speed with an OD gear for cruising

How much boost you running?
I don't have any knock retard. Not sure about the psi. I went for a test with a friend to watch the boost gauge for me the other day and it was leaning out on me so I didn't push it. I didn't even factor in the alcohol with your timing. Think 22 degrees max timing is dangerous? I'd push 5th til it broke myself. But there isn't a quarter around here. And my car has been acting weird under any boost past 5psi. Starts feeling weaker past that and it's leaning out with perfectly good 440cc injectors, I'm pretty sure fuel pressure is the culprit, but i haven't messed with it yet to make a diagnosis. Was much more powerful, just recently taking a dump on me

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
22 degrees on anything but e85 or race gas with 6+ psi of boost is a lot of timing for these engines considering the dynamic compression ratio and head design
Lean + high timing = blown up engines
How are you controlling fuel? I read some of your build but most of the photos are down
Is it 440cc injectors on stock AFM?

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
I'm always running at least 93 octane, and yea its 440cc injectors on 84 ecu, 85 afm that's been tinkered with. That is my fuel control. I'm thinking I need to check the vacuum line to the pressure regulator. It is just way too lean under boost, and a bit rich under normal driving conditions. I'm getting about 12 mpg. Really has a lot of power until it gets a little past 5psi, and about 4300 rpm. Then it leans out and starts losing power it seems. the rpm is a guess according to sound.

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
How much timing, all in would you think is safe on 93? It's not going really lean, just a little leaner than I would like. May switch gauges and see what the other one says. Seems to have unlimited power if I beat on it and there's no traction

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My guess is your AFM is maxing out when it hits leans. The flap can only open so much even with the spring tightened down a ton.
You have a wideband?
For timing I would double check it with a light to see what it goes all in but I would run 14 maybe 15 degrees total and less than 6 psi of boost on that sort of fuel/timing setup with 93
Basically you want to pull 1.5~ degrees of timing per PSI of boost. So revving the engine a bit with a timing light on it will give you the all in timing.

·
I <3 my supra
427 Posts
Hey man. Apparently I had a boost leak from my previous repair operation. I had the turbo off to fix my oil feed which was leaking, put it all back together and damn is this thing pulling hard. It was hitting about 10 psi, and still on its way up and then I started losing my ability to watch the gauge and control the car at the same time so I let out of it, and I only have a short little stretch to test it out on without going to jail. Anyway. My problem is resolved. I knew it could be fast, but yeah, I thought my worked over 2.3 dohc vtec prelude on massive breathing mods, weight reduction, TEIN ss and nitrous pulled hard! I had no idea! Now that I have the kinks worked out its time to unrig my ride. I am a new, true believer in the potential of the 12 valve dohc m series.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts