Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at swapping my 5me with a 7MGTE and have a couple of questions. The 87' 7MGTE donor car is an auto and so is my current 85'. Will the 87' transmission and engine fit in the 85' or will I have to use the 85' transmission ? It would be easier if I could just swap both the engine and transmission but don't know if it can be done. If the 87' transmission won't fit, can the 7MGTE be used with the existing 85' transmission? I thought I would ask before I purchased the donor car and then find out I need a manual transmission. Thanks for any info.

·
BIG BOSS HOSS
4,460 Posts
ash1 said:
I'm looking at swapping my 5me with a 7MGTE and have a couple of questions. The 87' 7MGTE donor car is an auto and so is my current 85'. Will the 87' transmission and engine fit in the 85' or will I have to use the 85' transmission ? It would be easier if I could just swap both the engine and transmission but don't know if it can be done. If the 87' transmission won't fit, can the 7MGTE be used with the existing 85' transmission? I thought I would ask before I purchased the donor car and then find out I need a manual transmission. Thanks for any info.
Deciding what transmission to use is going to be the least of your worries when doing a 7mgte swap.

You can't use the tranny from the MKIII with out some fabricating. Use the W58 from your MKII and besure to at least get the 7MGE clutch (not GTE). There are many 7mgte swap pages out there now so do some reading. :wink:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
ash1 said:
If the 87' transmission won't fit, can the 7MGTE be used with the existing 85' transmission?
I don't know if the MK3 AT will fit in the MK2, but the MK2 AT will fit the 7M block. You'll probably have to use the flexplate (and torque converter)
from the '85 though. I don't think the stock MK2 AT will hold much past stock 7M HP/TQ if even that. I seem to remember reading a write-up on someone's 5MGTE, where he blew up the AT at least once before swapping in a MT.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts