Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just build a 5MGE on a 5ME block. Wanna share few things I noticed, which may be helpful to others. So, 5ME oil pump has a narrower pipe and adapter to the block. To install a 5MGE oil pump, you need the adapter too!
5ME block has only one oil drain pipe cast into it (the rear one), so you need to machine either plug, or better a plug with a hose adapter to hammer into the 5MGE front oil drain hole, and use a hose and a T to attach it to the the oil cooler return hose as I did, or make another hole into the sump, or block etc.
5ME oil cooler return sump hole is larger than the 5MGE one!
I found out that the 5ME harness is almost identical to the early EURO 5MGE one, so I used that. I only had to prolong the water temp sensor wire, and eliminate two vsv plugs, which are not used on the 5MGE. Since I had to wire it to a US 85 p-type car, the EFI main relay1 has to get its signal from the ING fuse (2i plug pin9) rather than the ECU MREL (X9) pin, since the early EURO ECU has no such option.
Otherwise, everything else is straightforward. Engine works fine!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
So now you have a DOHC 5me?

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
Just build a 5MGE on a 5ME block.
I don't understand what you have going on there.
The 5me and 5mge are both 2.8L but there is no way to interchange the chain driven single cam head from the 5me block with the belt driven dual cam head off of the 5mge block.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just build a 5MGE on a 5ME block.
I don't understand what you have going on there.
The 5me and 5mge are both 2.8L but there is no way to interchange the chain driven single cam head from the 5me block with the belt driven dual cam head off of the 5mge block.
I have mounted a 5MGE early head, and late pistons on a 5ME block, crank, rods and flywheel. And yes it works.

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
How easy was it to get rid of the timing chain and cover of the 5me, which uses a headgasket like this

and replace it with a timing belt and cover of the 5mge which uses a headgasket like this

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How easy was it to get rid of the timing chain and cover of the 5me, which uses a headgasket like this

and replace it with a timing belt and cover of the 5mge which uses a headgasket like this
Very easy! Unscrew the timing chain cover and sprockets, and screw in the 5mge timing belt rear cover, push in/screw the 5mge timing belt pulleys, and oil pump driving axle.
As I wrote in my first post, the hardest part is the fact that the 5ME block has only one oil drain pipe cast on it (the rear one), while the 5mge head has two oil drain holes, so this issue must be resolved, to make it work.
You can even see it on the head gasket pics you posted, note on the 5ME gasket on top the front hole is blanked, cause it does not exist on the block, while on the 5mge gasket both are open, because it has two oil return pipes cast into it.

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
Just as I suspected. In North America the 5me disappeared after 1981; all Mark2 Supras here came with the 5mge so your information would be of interest only to the Mark1 guys here. I've owned several 5me-equipped Mark1 Supras in the past and years ago I swapped out the 5ME engines from two of my '81 MK1s. In one I swapped in a 6mge and in the other an '85 5mge engine. I never even looked at the possibility that the 5me block could be converted from chain driven SOHC to belt driven DOHC engines. (Both 5me engines that I swapped out were bad).
Of course the Mark 1 Supra was pre-TCCS so all the 5me engines here came equipped with vacuum-advance distributors versus the electronic-advance in the '83 and newer 5mge with TCCS which managed fuel and spark. The '82 Mark2 was a transition year so the '82 5mge is the only year here that had a vacuum advance distributor and the engine management was efi-only for that year, like the earlier 5me mark 1. So I had to remove the electronic distributor from the newer 5mge and 6mge and use a vacuum-advance distributor from an '82 5mge when I swapped them in and kept the old wiring harness. I could've swore that I tried (and failed) to use the 5me distributor on the swapped in 5mge but maybe not - that was a long time ago.
Anyway, all that was a lead-in to this question - Are the newer 5me engines there equipped with TCCS so that the ecu and wiring harness controls both efi and spark? Or does the ecu control only the efi?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just as I suspected. In North America the 5me disappeared after 1981; all Mark2 Supras here came with the 5mge so your information would be of interest only to the Mark1 guys here. I've owned several 5me-equipped Mark1 Supras in the past and years ago I swapped out the 5ME engines from two of my '81 MK1s. In one I swapped in a 6mge and in the other an '85 5mge engine. I never even looked at the possibility that the 5me block could be converted from chain driven SOHC to belt driven DOHC engines. (Both 5me engines that I swapped out were bad).
Of course the Mark 1 Supra was pre-TCCS so all the 5me engines here came equipped with vacuum-advance distributors versus the electronic-advance in the '83 and newer 5mge with TCCS which managed fuel and spark. The '82 Mark2 was a transition year so the '82 5mge is the only year here that had a vacuum advance distributor and the engine management was efi-only for that year, like the earlier 5me mark 1. So I had to remove the electronic distributor from the newer 5mge and 6mge and use a vacuum-advance distributor from an '82 5mge when I swapped them in and kept the old wiring harness. I could've swore that I tried (and failed) to use the 5me distributor on the swapped in 5mge but maybe not - that was a long time ago.
Anyway, all that was a lead-in to this question - Are the newer 5me engines there equipped with TCCS so that the ecu and wiring harness controls both efi and spark? Or does the ecu control only the efi?
81-8/83 vacuum distributor, 9/83- electronic control, where the auto transmission uses a different than the US ESA.
5MEs were introduced post 9/1983 for the Swiss market, due to emissions regulation and I suspect power to tax motives. Which helps, since they came with the newer alternator, 7rib belt, and an E1 plug in the harness (unlike the earlier 5MGE harness).
EU emissipns regulations were close to 0 atthe time, so no catalytic converters, EGR, EVAP, etc. systems. And higher power output 170hp vs. 160/1hp.
Parts availability and the desire for higher power output, led to the particular choice in this project. The US harness and ECU were present, but not the EGR, O2 sensor etc. so I went for the Euro option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts