Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve searched most posts/search bar looking for 0.50 o/s pistons and rings for one of my 5MGE engines I’m having rebuilt. The only pistons I’ve found was at Raptor racing, Wiseco but not willing to spend $1300, it’s just going to be a stock rebuild N/A, also don’t want to buy those cheap China piston sets on Ebay. So does anyone have have some helpful leads. My only possible option would be to use a set of 0.50 o/s pistons with 40,000 Kim’s on them, but my engine builder said they might have shrunk just enough not being able to use them, he will have to measure them.
I appreciate any comments, thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
8,491 Posts
Might want to state which 5M pistons you want there are two kinds. What you want doesn't really exist. The OEM ones are discontinued, all the aftermarket stock ones are made in China, and all the US made forged pistons are going to be 800+.

The closest to what you want are the ITMs on Rockauto, but they are the low compression pistons. The 5M is a pretty low stress engine so if you're staying stock I doubt you need the best pistons made.

Reactions: ddd228

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might want to state which 5M pistons you want there are two kinds. What you want doesn't really exist. The OEM ones are discontinued, all the aftermarket stock ones are made in China, and all the US made forged pistons are going to be 800+.

The closest to what you want are the ITMs on Rockauto, but they are the low compression pistons. The 5M is a pretty low stress engine so if you're staying stock I doubt you need the best pistons made.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw those pistons but I need min 0.25 o/s, they only have std & 0.20 in stock. I’ll keep looking, thanks !

·
Super Moderator
8,491 Posts
You're mixing the units up. .020" = .5mm oversize

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Yes. Standard overbore sizes for lots of engines are .50mm / 0.020" and 1.0mm / 0.040"

.50mm is actually 0.0197" but who is counting LOL.

Reactions: AJ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. Standard overbore sizes for lots of engines are .50mm / 0.020" and 1.0mm / 0.040"

.50mm is actually 0.0197" but who is counting LOL.
You are correct, my brain is tired! I’ll order them from Rock auto if I can’t find an equivalent

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts