Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would run this by here as no one else seems to be open minded about swaps.
Short story is I've got a bit more hp now that I turbo'd the 22RE on my 1990 4runner. The truck was swapped over from an auto to 5spd and assuming the 5mt is correct for the year it's likely got the smaller clutch (8.88in). There was a larger clutch (9.25in/240mm) available for the factory turbo trucks of 85-88 and Toyota put a similar larger clutch in the 93-95 trucks (TO bearing difference?). I'm mostly ok going for Aisin CKT-049 for the 93-95 trucks, but have been looking at the 5MGE/7MGE engines that look to be very similar. I would have to buy the larger 22RE turbo flywheel:

Application Part Number Cover Disc

'95 truck/4runner Aisin CKT-049 CTX-076 DTX-099L
85-88 turbo truck Aisin CKT-037 CTX-097 DT-064
Cressida 5MGE Aisin CKT-048 CTX-076 DT-064
Supra 7MGE Aisin CKT-036 CTX-097 DT-064

I would prefer to just stay with a factory DD system rather than going aftermarket. Another factor is the throw out bearing- can I use the newer 95 style in the older diaphragms?

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
Are you wanting a stronger psi pressure plate??

IF you can find an 1989 OEM 7MGE pressure plate ( much heavy than the 5M version) I've been running the 7MGE setup for many yrs never have had any issues...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes- just looking for a smarter way to get a heavier clutch without big $$. Exactly what application is the 1989 for? NA Supra, should be the CKT-036.
The stock engine for this was rated for 110hp, I bumped it to 200hp- not much granted in the scheme of things but I'm looking sideways at the current clutch. I'm very easy on clutches and to date have not replaced any due to my driving habits...but- I'm anticipating trouble down the road and am getting my ducks in order, when you can plan for a job you can scout better deals. I would prefer to stay with a factory effort clutch pedal, factory reliability (think 4x4 use) without getting into exotic PP/discs- frankly I don't think this case warrants that and I'm not after on/off style engagement. With the larger flywheel- it looks like the 7MGE will fit- was wondering tho about throw out bearings, are the newer styles interchangeable with the older style PP. First choice would be Aisin, how has Sachs treated the 7MGE crowd? I like their hub damper style better than the pucks.

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
Luk or Sachs are quality OEM replacement

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
OEM TO bearing should suffice...

Aftermarket clutch release bearing for comparison

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dig dig dig....Seems like half of Aisin part numbers are just differences in bearings alone.
At least the throw out bearing is common from 1995 truck to 1989 Supra NA.
Looks like the pilot bearing for a 22RE is the same too- well...call me impressed, almost like an old chebies parts bin.

So what are you getting for a $200 Aisin kit vs a $125 Sachs kit. I'm just wondering about overall quality of small parts- I would prefer not to do this particular job again. Most of these brand names I'm not familiar with- if the oem part doesn't have known issues, I think they are a better choice for a DD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know I'm way overthinking this- but I'm here for your opinion.

Flywheel options:
OEM- $600 not likely to happen
used fleabay OEM- $90 + resurface?
Sachs- $90 china
LUK- $90 china

When you look at the OEM, nice casting, min balancing drill holes, china product- not so much.

Also have you noticed quality difference in competing products- or are they made in same factory ie:
normal Sacs price is $140
normal LUK price $90

This may be a reboxed unit. just wondering how the rust affects things.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185052129543?s ... 1438.l2649

·
Premium Member
8,791 Posts
OEM + resurface, just need to confirm no cracks...

Go with Toyota OEM TO and input shaft (pilot) bearings...

Luks or Sachs coin flip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with the Standard Flywheels Corp flywheel- I do believe I have seen the casting mark on Toy parts. I just hope the rust isn't too bad or will clean up with a resurface.
The used one- he sprayed it with something and should have taken his pic before doing so- 89k miles claimed so maybe it already has a resurface on it.
I'll see what bearings come with it- I won't cheap out there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sachs=Valeo rebox. I'm ok with that. Flywheel is new oem and in great shape, photos looked worse- just staining. Supplied bearings will be replaced by NSK and Nachi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts