Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, will a 7mgte ecu work on an mk2 supra? prolly not, but just wondering, i was only able to find 87+ ecu's on ebay, so i'd thought i'd ask, hoping to be lucky. Or at least anyone know where i can get a cheap ecu?? reason being my ecu is f*cked, the motor shuts off at around 5 grand and won't rev past that. I've got an 86 p-type by the way.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
No it won't work....

Unless you have a actual 7MGTE in your engine bay....

Many reasons why, including: 7MGTE ECU is going to go nutso when it discovers that it can't find a Karman Vortex AFM, because you have a flapper door AFM. ECU is going to go nuts because it's trying to find the 7MGTE coil packs & you have a distributor.....

Keep looking... Basically, there are too many things that are different electronically, between the 5MGE & the 7MGTE.

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
You want an 85 or 86 ECU for a 86MkII. I would kinda doubt the ECU is your problems. They are extremely reliable assuming you car hasn't been struck by lightning or something.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well dude, i highly doubted it was the ECU as well, BUT, it has new spark plugs, NGK I might add, cleaned injectors, new distributor cap and rotor, new oil, new fuel filter, and we went over and over some other stuff to see if that was it, but no problems. At first i was almost guaranteeing myself it was something to do with fuel, but now... it seems to throw a code, but it doesn't stay on long enough for diagnosis, and it leans out REALLY BADLY, which leads me to believe something happened with the previous owner in which the ECU was messed up. The engine doesn't completely shut off after 5 grand, it just shuts off AT 5 grand, i can keep driving it after that.

someone just hit me as well and now i've got other problems such as leaking power stearing fluid and a loose belt, and of course body damage (but luckily no frame damage or anything else) his insurance gave me two choices, since the car is so old, they might not give me enough to fix it all, so i either take what they give me or they consider it totalled and give me the value of the car, thing is it's not THAT bad, and I DO NOT want to get rid of it.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
If the CE system picked up a code, then it should still be there. Does not matter if the light stays on or not. The only way you can get rid of the code, is to pull the ECU fuse for 30 seconds, or disconnect the battery.

Time to check the CE code. Procedure for doing it, has been posted here many times, or check the TSRM.

Where is the PS leak at??? Pump, or the high pressure line???

·
Registered
501 Posts
how much work would it involve to get a 7m ecu to work? how cheap could you get a 7m ecu, afm, ignitor, coolant sensor, coil packs and wires for? it probably owuldn't be ALL that expensive. my guess would be you could get all of those for $150-$200 if you shopped around, maybe less if you found a car at a yard. if you fit 440cc injectors in, you might have pretty decent 5 or 6m-gte electronics set up. you would have to worry abotu mounting another pickup in teh distributor, but who knows, that might not be too hard with a few screws or epoxy or something.

i don't know if tihs would actually eliminate the need for a fuel controller of some type... maybe it will, perhaps if the fuel pressure is bumped up a bit. and the fuel and timing will be set up for a turbo car for an expense that is much cheaper than standalone and probably about as much or cheaper than a rising rate regulator/s-afc/msd boost retard setup. you'd also get a heated o2 sensor. and it'd be cool, man.

i'm not familiar wth the 7m, but the main bumps in the road might probably be mounting that pickup int he distributor, the 7m ecu being set up to detect knock in a 7m (might not really be an issue), and wiring. but it might not be bad engine management for the price? down the line, do a lexus afm/550cc/turbo upgrade and run just like the high power 7ms?

shiva

1 - 8 of 8 Posts