Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5MGE that I am rebuilding and the rod bearing notches are on the opposite side of how the rod is machined. Starting to wonder if someone put different rods in before I got into the engine.

Anyone else run into this or have a suggestion for next steps?

Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
8,301 Posts
What yr 5MGE??

·
Premium Member
8,301 Posts
Copy '86...your using new bearings?? are you sure you have the match bearing that goes on the rod cap and same for the rod??

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Pictures are very helpful in cases such as this.

Reactions: AJ and Mimmell

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any ideas on this? I am on my 3rd set of rod bearings and same result.

Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Did you try the other half from the one you show flipped around? I seem to remember 5 and 7M having holes on both sides.

·
Registered
602 Posts
What year is the engine? I know crank main are different from early 5m to later 5m. If you have a knock sensor it’s newer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The bearing shells look like they are for a different motor.
I went and looked at a low comp (82/83/84Auto) motor I bought used in about 1995 and the bearing shell notches are on the other side.
To me it looks like your rods are correct, the bearing shells are wrong.

2020-10-01 Big End Bearing.JPG

You can see both the upper and lower bearing shell notches are on the same side. These would match your rods.
And both the upper and lower shells have the oil holes in them, I assume to make them interchangeable.

Dale

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ordered 82-84 5MGE bearings and that seems to match. The transmission is from an 83 (model year 86 car), looks like someone may have put an older motor in the car as well.

Thanks for your help everyone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just ran into the same issue as @Mimmell with my swedish 5ME -84 engine :(
These are the ones i ordered King for Toyota 5ME/5MGE/7MGE/7MGTE (Size STD) Rod Bearing Set | eBay King CR696AM and the notch is on the wrong side.
I have a hard time finding the correct ones with the notch on the other side on ebay that i am sure would fit.
It looks from the picture at least like these would fit: Engine Connecting Rod Bearing Set Sealed Power 6-1165CP | eBay But what makes me a bit uncertain is that the same model numbers for Cressida is listed as for the King bearings i ordered that had the notch on the wrong side :confused:
Does maybe anyone know which ones i should get?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ordered a set of these Amazon.com: Connecting Rod Bearing Set: Automotive which on pretty much every picture i see online of them has the notch on the correct side. I also asked one ebay seller if the picture was accurate, but never got a response so i decided to just order and hope for the best.
But guess what... the notch is not on the side the pictures show them :mad:
Now i am at a loss on how to get correct bearings for my car and starting to get a bit tempted to just try to re-notch them and probably drill another oil-hole...
If anyone knows which are the correct bearings i am looking for please let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I visited a toyota dealer this morning to see if they could get the correct bearings for me. This turned out to be impossible though since the parts were discontinued, but i at least got the part number for the bearings that supposedly should be in my engine: 13202-45011
I found on eBay that King Engine Bearings CR6605AM should be a replacement for these so i have now ordered a set of those.

·
Premium Member
8,301 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,301 Posts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts