Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced the spark plugs, wires, fuel pump, and gave it a new battery. I have not replaced the fuel filter yet, but I have it. Today, i attempted to start the 86 cressida that's been off the road in FL since 2007. I cut a hole through the rusty trunk to gain access to the fuel pump assembly, the fuel tank is obviously rusted out so what I did is I extended a couple fuel lines to the assembly and filled gas into a half cut gas can for the intank pump to temporarily pull fuel (planning to have an aftermarket trunk fuel cell). Upon cranking at first, it acted like there was no fuel until after a minute it started to sputter and shake which continued until the battery died. I tried to start it for about 5-10 minutes before the battery gave out, any other pointers while I replace the fuel filter? I couldn't get it to start, but it stumbled as if it wanted to w/ the check engine light going on and off. There was definitely a change once I replaced the pump and gave it clean gas. Could it just be the filter?

·
Registered
7,232 Posts
If you jump the Fuel Pump check connector (usually by the AFM), or stuck a screwdriver in the AFM to force the flap in the run position, (pump should run) look at the returned to tank fuel. If large volume, then filter is ok.
Checking spark : just by placing a timing light on a plug wire. Changing oil that old is not a luxury.
Good luck !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Change the oil and filter for sure. Chances are the cold start injector isn't spraying any fuel, remove the boot from the intake and spray a shot of either or carburetor cleaner into the intake. If it fires up then continue with the fuel filter change. Before you install the new filter blow air through the fuel line to make sure it's clear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New pump definitely runs when cranking, also the fuel that cycled through got a bit dirty. It ran on starting fluid previously, before it turned over as if it wasn't getting any gas, when I replaced the pump and then tried it it began to stumble and that's when it wanted to start but the battery died. I'll take a look at the cold start injector, I'll probably try to run cleaner through the system..

·
Registered
334 Posts
After taking car out of winter storage a few years ago, it ran rough and stumbled at pretty much the whole rpm range. I changed out the plugs and ran a few bottles of injector cleaner through the tank, which helped somewhat, but did not cure it. Since I dreaded taking everything apart to replace the injectors, I decided to change the fuel filter next. Well, that was no picnic either, but I found it to be so clogged that I could not blow air through it at all. I'm not sure how the engine even ran, let alone run smoothly. New filter and all is now good. I hope the filter location in the Cressida is easier to access than it is on the Supra. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I would also change the fuel filter. I found that removing the ISCV hose and putting some gas in the hose a direct way to gas to the engine.

Reactions: Kaidenharra7
1 - 6 of 6 Posts