Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.. So I know that this isn't the right section and probably not even the right forum for this. This is also a very noob question, but I can't seem to find a strait answer anywhere including all of the cressida forums. I recently bought a 87 cressida with a 5mge-t engine in it... the guy said that it was recently "rebuilt"... after going to look at it i found that the car was burning oil very badly but the guy said that the ct26 on it was in need of a rebuild... so as gullible as i am i went ahead and bought the car... after about ten min of driving i quickly noticed that the car was already running down a cylinder... it had already oil fouled the no. 3 spark plug... i decided to do a compression test and it reviled a very lazy no. 6 and shot no. 3 (like 50 p.s.i.).... this brings me to my noob question... i have a 7mge out of my 87 now 1j supra.. i don't have a wiring harness due to having to spider it into the 1j harness for the swap... so is there any way that my 7m will work with the 5m electronics? I have herd of guys running 1js on 7mgte electronics but i was wondering if 5mge to 7mge would work also... and to those veterans of this forum I'm sure this noob thread is gona piss you off and I apologize but I'm in need of help.

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
ok yes

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
It's a good thing I created this handy map so others may use it:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
what are you asking
im very confused
do you want to put a 7m in a cressy or a supra
they will both work
but no 5m harness will not work with 7m

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I had an 84 cressida with a 7mge running on 5mge electronics.

Yes it can be done, but it is not fun. You end up with tons of spaghetti wiring all over the engine bay because most of the sensors are in the wrong places. If your car is Auto I would not suggest it, as it adds to the complication.

I suggest getting all of the 7mge electronics from a newer cressida and making it work the right way.

Here is the picture. 84 cressida, 89 cressida 7mge, 5mge harness extended and adapted, 5mge ecu. It had 315 green 7m injectors on a stock computer, which made it pig rich. Had I used the 5M injectors, it would have probably been better. The fact that it was auto kept me from pursuing the project. The 7mge ended up in my 85 supra. It still ran on 5m electronics for a while. But after weeks of screwing around I just went to the 7mge ecu. In only a couple of hours it was up and running properly and ran like a beast. So that is why I'm suggesting to run the correct ecu and save yourself some time.

7MGE on 5MGE electronics:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts