Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, recently i purchased an 83 mkii supra p-type with 73k miles on it. The engine is in great condition by the looks of it, and the previous owner took excellent care of it, and started it twice every year he had it in storage (aproximately 5 years) As of last year the engine turned over real strong, but wouldn't fire.
I got the car home, it turns over strong, but it won't ignite/run. I've just replaced a faulty fuel pump in the car, and don't know what it could be. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!
Thanks so much!
-josh

·
Registered
85 Posts
Back to the basics,...
If it has spark, fuel and the timing is at least close it should run.

Does it have spark? (DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU CAN SMELL RAW FUEL!)
Pull the coil wire out of the cap and hold it 1/4" from the head. Have someone crank it over. If you have spark there,...
Pull a plug wire and do the same thing. You may have to put a screwdriver in the plug end of the wire to do this.

If it has spark, then check the timing per a TSRM or other manual, both ignition and cam timing.

If it has spark and is in time, then its time to listen to the injectors with a mechanic's stethoscope (or stick!) to see if they are "clicking" when the engine is cranked over. If not you have ECU or injector relay issues. Check them per TSRM.

If the all the above checks okay, crack a fuel line and see is fuel pressure is present.
If not jump the fuel pump check connector, turn on the key and crack a fitting again. If no fuel pressure, find the restriction/blockage. Fuel filter, kink in the line etc.

When you have done all of the above with positive results, if it still doesn't start you have serious problems.
Let us know!
Jamie

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Additional info

The gas is brand new, we just drained the old stuff and put in new. It's getting spark, it starts with starter fluid, but dies/chokes and dies when pressing down gas pedal.
We've already checked the ignition sys. it all checks out ok.
How do i check the Injector Relay? Where is it located?
This might sound stupid..but what is ''TSRM"?
Fuel pressure is excellent.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Will it stay running if you don't step on the gas pedal? How was the old gas? nasty looking, smell like varnish?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gas reeked like varnish, was dark coloured, and had almost green looking bubbles. Definately nasty looking.
No, either way it stalls out. I think it only stays running long enough to burn all the starter fluid.

·
3,283 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the fuel lines or fuel filter is plugged. I'd bet that once you put a new filter on, and cleaned out the lines she'll fire up fine.

flow isn't nessessarily dependant on pressure.

TSRM is Technical Service and Repair Manual. there are a couple online if you don't have one in paper.

Mike

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Sounds like the injectors may be stuck closed from varnish and other crud. You might try flushing the fuel system and installing a new fuel filter to get fresh gas up into the injectors. Do the injectors click when you crank the engine over?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another Question...

I was looking through the butterfly valve in the throttle body, and the intake plenum is rusty looking on the inside...that' can't be good....can it??
I'm thinking of just taking the whole intake manifold off and cleaning everything up.
Including the fuel rail and injectors.
that would most likely fix my problem, right?
Thanks again!! you guys are so helpful!
-Josh

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had this exact same problem with my Mazda 323 when I did my engine swap, JDM motor had been sittingon a shelf for 15yrs and once everything was in car it wouldn't fire, my friend sprayed fuel into the butterfly and the car would run, so I swaped the JDM injectors with my old injectors and budda bing it ran fine.

Carl

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, really?? so...were your injectors bad? or were they just dirty?...
I'm thinkin i'm just gunna take them out and clean them real well. I got carbourator cleaner for the injectors...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
here it goes guys,
i just removed the throttle body...the fuel injectors are rusted to hell.
i'm talking, brown, and fully texturized.
i'm guessing they're beyond repair.
i was wondering if any of you guys knew a place where i could get injectors for the 5mge.
Thanks again guys!
-Josh

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, the injectors work, but on the top where they draw fuel in, you can smell gas, and on the spray/tip you can't, and two of them look really clogged.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
id suggest going to a pick your part, or some other automobile parts recyclers and getting a set of stock 5mge injectors.
id get them cleaned and tested prior to putting them in the car, but thats up to you. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Despite how ugly they must look, perhaps they are salvageable... I'd at least check out options for it. Perhaps a dealer or other mechanic can clean them out. Otherwise, I'm sure *somebody* on this list has a spare set of injectors. If not, ask "sloopercat" if you can buy the ones off his old 5M...

While you've got everything out, you might want to flush the gas that's in the feed line. Sounds like everything in the tank was *nasty*, and it'd be a shame to get your nice new injectors clogged in the first few minutes of operation... It may not be entirely the best idea, but you *could* secure the end of the fuel line into an empty gas can, and then jumper the fuel pump test connector and turn the ignition into the "on" position. As long as the battery is connected and the fuses are all still good, this should cause the fuel pump to run just fine, and purge all the gunk out of the line. If it were me, I'd push out at least a gallon's worth.

good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, i was gunna try to clean them myself...i've got lots of carbourator cleaner...that'll work won't it?
Thanks for the gas idea! i'm going to do that, it probabally has that bad gas still up in there.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Ive got a set of injectors you can have-A list member gave me some extras recently-Private message me w/address and Ill mail/ups them to ya-Been there-Mike P

1 - 18 of 18 Posts