Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I walked in expecting ~205rwhp, and now I'm stuck in perma-grin after settling at 248rwhp 270ft/lbs WOOHOO! First run with a 6:1 disc was a bit lean (touched 14.0!!!) which put me at 259rwhp. 8:1 settled me at a safer 12.8-12.9. No detonation was picked up, no smoke of any sort. I'm a happy camper. :D :D :D :D

EDIT: I felt the #'s from this dyno didn't match my seat-o-the-pants meter.... A follow-up dyno at a different shop showed 211.7RWHP & 214.3 ft/lbs. ....which is the number I'll stick with as the other shop did seem a little flaky.

Mod list: stock ct-26, stock wastegate (no shim), stock 182cc inj, stock timing, stock MkIII IC, pvc lower IC piping, vortech FMU 8:1 disc, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, suprasport ported elbow, rabid chimp 3" downpipe, carsound 3" cat, 3" mandrel piping to dynomax ultraflow. Boost read 7.5psi.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Sweet! How fast does it feel?

Will

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
is that on a stock 5MGE, or have you done any work to the engine besides adding turbo?

very impressive results :)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Congrats. No RRFPR? You made 248 HP on completely stock
fuel system at 12.7 A/F ?

StanS

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dogstar said:
is that on a stock 5MGE, or have you done any work to the engine besides adding turbo?

very impressive results :)
I replaced the headgasket with a 7m version and torqued to 75ft/lbs, I had the head sand/bead blasted and replaced 2 valves (head was really in fantastic condition, I just wanted the built up carbon removed). Only bits done to the bottom end involved a dremel w/ wire brush wheel and razor blades, to clean the mating surface and piston tops.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
StanS said:
Congrats. No RRFPR? You made 248 HP on completely stock
fuel system at 12.7 A/F ?

StanS
The Vortech FMU is my RRFPR, 8:1 ratio (6:1 had no detonation, but 13.9 and 14.0:1 A/Fs are too damn lean....even if it did make another 10hp that way)
I did forget to put the Walbro in my list...I'll add it. I also replace the hard fuel line that feeds into the rail with normal fuel hose. Mine was really crimped at the bends and was afraid of it impeding flow.

Link to data sheet so you can see A/F's
http://members.provalue.net/moon/dyno/5mgte03.gif

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
onedic said:
what form of coration did you use to get your #s sae std din ? Congrats grate #rs. Are you comeing out to the meeeeeeet on the 15th?
Dave
In the software he put in the values for temp, humidity, and barometric pressure. The correction was 0.9somethingsomethingsomething. I'll be passing on the 15th...too long a haul for me this time. :(

And thanks. Nowhere near your #'s, but pretty respectable for a 5m! ;) :D

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: re:

Crocket said:
So these numbers are with the stock air flow meter, not the Split Second system?

Sonny
Correct. The SS system couldn't be tuned such that daily driving throttle transitions were smooth enough for me. The appeal to me was the ability to tune for 295cc injectors, but I've got enough irritations on my daily commute without a slight hiccup as I transition through a particular throttle percentage at a particular rpm (which convieniently happens in 2nd & 3rd gear after EVERY stop). So I went back to the 182cc and stock AFM. It may be possible to tune out that hiccup, but it's beyond me to do it...all I managed was to do was shift around where that hiccup would happen. After apparently wasting $250 for a dyno shop familiar with the software to only get me 199.6rwhp, I decided that if I'm not doing it myself, it ain't gettin' done. :evil:

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Very nice job, considering the boost you ran. Nice! The info on the Vortech FMU (ratio) is a great tidbit of knowledge. Looks like these 5m/6ms respond very well to larger exhaust. Back when I dyno tested my Black 85, I had a modified (substandard, imho) HKS downpipe, and a 2.25" crush bent ratty exhaust, with Flowmaster stage II muffler. At 7 psi on a old, stock CT26, stock injectors, the discontinued Paxton-1890 rrfpr, Mk3 Supra IC, the car did 208 rwhp and 232 ft/lbs. Once again, great job, show pics!!
-Aaron

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I absolutely love this car. Aside from a slap on the wrist for not initially spending enough time prepping the block side of the head gasket (I repented), this car has rewarded me for every effort since its purchase.

In addition to surprising me with more power than I expected, I'm now getting better gas mileage. In the past I would religiously see 18mpg, and now my last tank saw 21.6mpg.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
The point I'm hoping to make is that the stock fuel system can safely (A/F 12.7) make 250 RWHP which I believe you've proved with your dyno
results. The 8 setting on the Vortech FMU increased the time the injectors
were on (duty cycle) and NOT the fuel pressure. Is this correct? The 225 lph Walbro may have made the flow possible, but the stocker might do it also since 182cc/min X 60 min x 6 inj = 66,000 cc/hr = 66 lph required. Only thing left is the fuel line you changed. Anyone know the stock fp
capacity?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
StanS said:
The point I'm hoping to make is that the stock fuel system can safely (A/F 12.7) make 250 RWHP which I believe you've proved with your dyno
results. The 8 setting on the Vortech FMU increased the time the injectors
were on (duty cycle) and NOT the fuel pressure. Is this correct? The 225 lph Walbro may have made the flow possible, but the stocker might do it also since 182cc/min X 60 min x 6 inj = 66,000 cc/hr = 66 lph required. Only thing left is the fuel line you changed. Anyone know the stock fp
capacity?
The Vortech FMU simply adds a mechanical restriction in the return fuel line, which increases pressure at the rail. 8:1 disc provides 8psi fuel, for every 1psi boost. Rougly, from a stock base 30psi fuel pressure, at 7.5psi boost I'm running 90psi fuel pressure.

·
Registered
572 Posts
This has to be some of the best info I have seen on this, its about time!!!

Awesome Numbers I can't wait to get my 6m turboed

1 - 20 of 67 Posts