Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the people who went 5mgte what injectors did you run?

I have a set of each of these:

210 blue tops
295 yellow tops
440 7mgte's

What should I run for stock boost setup with just downpipe and fiter?

I can get a afc for pretty cheap.

How much safer would it be to run either the bigger 2 sets of injectors?

Would it be better off to go 210cc with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and a mk3 turbo fuel pump and click the maf 2 clicks?

Also who makes a good boost retard box that will work on our cars?

This one looks like for the price.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-850604

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
As for injectors, it depends on the rest of your fuel system. Are you running an rrfpr or just the afc?
that will make a huge difference as to what injectors to run.
MK3 turbo fuel pump is still not the best. If your gonna buy a new one buy an aristo mk4 TT pump or Genuine Walbro 255 (no knock offs).

I have the universal msd BTM and works just fine. Try and keep it out of the direct engine bay as MSD stuff doesnt like heat too well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah I agree. The DIYPNP MS is the whole reason my turbo project is on stand-by for the time being. It is hard just staring at a parts stash everyday but in the end it will be for the better.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm looks nice but what is going to be the price?

Im looking to spend less then 500$ on:

Boost retard box
Fuel controller
Rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

But is this is less then that I would MUCH rather have MSII.

Prices I have seen.
Cheapest timing box is 175$ msd BTM basic
Some safc's on craigslist for 125$
RRFPR is 200$

What are the pickup signals on the MS?
Can you take the maf out and run a GM map sensor or run both even?
Do you have to run the ford EDIS or can stock dis pickup work?
I have done some messing around with a aem stand alone on a 7mgte is it similar to this?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I don't know much about turbo stuff, but I DO know that the MK3 turbo fuel pump is the same as a MK2 fuel pump. Doesn't put out any higher pressure, etc. That's why 7MGTE's run the bigger injectors, because they run less fuel pressure than a turbo'd 5M.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably would have waited for it too...
but 40 bucks for a working MSD BTM,
a FREE BRAND NEW cartech adjustable RRFPR
and a SAFC for 100 I couldnt pass them up.
Damn that is some cheap prices.

Really the turbo fuel pump is the same as the MKII?

I thought it was a 255 lph one.

A walbro 255 is only 109.95 so that is not really a huge deal.

·
Registered
13,116 Posts
Hmm looks nice but what is going to be the price?

Im looking to spend less then 500$ on:

Boost retard box
Fuel controller
Rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

But is this is less then that I would MUCH rather have MSII.

Prices I have seen.
Cheapest timing box is 175$ msd BTM basic
Some safc's on craigslist for 125$
RRFPR is 200$

I have done some messing around with a aem stand alone on a 7mgte is it similar to this?
It has 10x the capability of a stock+piggybacks ECU. The MAF gets removed, and uses a integrated map sensor (no extra cost!). It will work with stock distributor and coil out of the box (plug and play), or easily convert over to EDIS.

It will be very similar to any other standalone, except for the fact that it will be plug and play! Unplug your stock ECU, plug in this one, two wires for intake air temp, quick config, and runs!

...be ready, it's going to be a game-changer for this community.

--BillyM

·
Registered
657 Posts
just go standalone, it is greatly worth it, trust me!!!!, you can do megasquirt for around $500 with new wiring harness,, then edis ignition setup for $65, wideband $170, , you'll need metal head gasket and arp studs regardless of the ecu setup you run,, you dont need a fuel pump if you run ems, only if you run a RRFPR setup. rrfpr setups are pretty dangerous as wel, i just dont like the idea of running 120psi in my fuel rail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_QMMnY_sE
taking it to 7000rpm with only 7psi

·
Registered
657 Posts
ya but, 7mgte electronics will always work better than a 5m or 6m with just minor fuel control upgrades, rrfpr setup isn't worth using, , even then its distributor vs coil ignition, no timing control, etc..

·
Registered
39 Posts
It can use the stock cam angle sensor.

The current MS2/Extra firmware doesn't use the MAF for very much though this may be added in the future. The DIYPNP has a built in 2.5 bar MAP sensor; you can also use it with other MAP sensors (MapDaddy 4 bar internal sensor, GM 3 bar, or even an AEM 5 bar).

No EDIS is required. Right now it doesn't support the DLI ignitor as it's set up to signal each coil when to fire directly instead of multiplexing them, so you'd either need a different ignition module or use the internal coil drivers. It's likely DLI support will be added in the future, but bypassing the DLI ignitor isn't a big deal.

Pretty close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts