Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to know if it was possible to put a 6 speed transmission from a 2jz onto a 5mge engine and if it's possible what would have to be done pleaselet me know just curious to know what would need to be done if it's possible thanks

Dan

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The JZ series engines have a different bellhousing bolt pattern to the M series engines, so you'll need a custom adapter plate to make it bolt up. You will also need a custom clutch and possibly flywheel. Tailshaft modifications will be required, and you'll also need to modify the shifter linkage otherwise the shifter will end up where your handbrake is. The 6-speed is too wide to fit in a Mk2 transmission tunnel so you'll need to either bash it out with a sledge or cut-and-shut it.

Finally, you'll want a much taller diff ratio to take advantage of the 6-speed; the Mk4 Supra has a 3.2:1 diff ratio. I doubt you'd find such a tall ratio for the F-series diff, but you could possibly get one custom made ($$$) or swap in a whole Mk4 diff ($$$). A friend of mine put a 6-speed in his Mk3 and with the stock 3.7:1 diff first gear is pretty much a waste of time.

Sounds like a lot of work just to get an extra ratio! Personally I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
DAM!! I always wanted to ask that question but i knew I would expect an answer like that. Thats why I never asked it :wink:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Of course if you have a JZ series engine it becomes a lot easier... the 6-speed conversion is still on my list of possibilities for Project 2JZ. If I can find a transmission that doesn't cost an arm and a leg it will probably happen. :)

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
would a ZF from an older corvette work?

or a 6 speed out of a camaro/firebird?

last time i saw one of the camaro units, it was pretty narrow, maybe a bit wider than a W series, but fairly close.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lots of work

all of this no matter what you do is still going to be alot of work i wanted to just stick the tranny from a 2jz onto a 5mge and see what happens without fiddling with gear ratios and and that stuff but just widen the well to make it fit and everyhting like that but don't think i'll do it but was just curious to know if anyone has actually attempted taking a 2jz tranny and putting it on a 5mge lol this is prolly never gonna happen on my budget and time schedule lol but would love to see one if it works

Dan

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Dan & SlimFast,

This is exactly my very same question as well???? What IS wrong w/ the 5-speed????

As I've told others in the past, you're NOT gaining anything in the lower gear selection w/ the Getrag 6-speeds, except for a extra gear between 3rd & 5th gears... As I've mentioned in the past, 5th gear on the Getrag V160/V161 is the 1:1 gear ratio, which is the same as our 4th gear on the W58. THE GETRAG 6-SPEED DOES NOT HAVE TWO OVERDRIVE RATIO's, it only has ONE, which is 6th gear!!!!!

If you are still running a M series motor, this is not worth a upgrade, IMHO. :oops:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nothing wrong

their is nothing wrong with the 5 speed just wanted to find out if it would give me any kind of advantage of any sort and if all the gears would be the exact same as a 5 speed except the adding of one gear and that gear 5 on the 5 speed would be the equivilent to 6th gear on the 6 speed????

Dan

·
Registered
123 Posts
Norbie, looks like I might not be the only person wanting to get a 6-speed at some stage :twisted: Good old IS200 box :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not quite, but thats pretty far off, and something to do if I get bored :D

The thing is, its nice to know it can be done a lot easier than in other configurations :D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
In many cases, the 6 gears are shorter than just 5, meaning more and more gear changing.

You typically want this in higher revving cars that have VTEC/VVTI to get you to the big power band faster. However, in a NA 6 configuration I think the 5 speed would be better for the power band.

You can change the effect of the 5 speed by lowering or raising the gear ration in the rear end.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
turbo

how about if the engine is got the turbo on the 5mgte and i was to put the 6 speed on it any advantage or disadvanteage??????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts