Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Car does look really minty. Shame the guy had the shakes when he took half the photos. Laziness on his part really -- I've sold a few motorcycles on ebay, and I always take about 60 photos and discard all the bad ones, post the best ones. Takes some time, but worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
LOVE this car... potential bargain grab, would be so easy for me to make this car a total dime piece, and at 64K, I wouldnt feel guilty about driving her hard and having my way with her.

Looks like a late '83 product based on the ignitor.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think he had a close eye on what Eric's car sold for. somebody from the forum needs to cop this thing.

·
Registered
599 Posts
x2 on the shakes, would be nice to see crisp interior pics.

This one will be fun to watch.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
celsup i bet you're 82 is every bit as clean.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
She's a beaut. Must be a new shift boot and shift knob in there - check that, they may just have a lot of shine product on them. For everybody's sake here let's hope it hits $10k. Probably just needs a full tune up to really enjoy.

·
Registered
599 Posts
nice start to a successful auction::......seller got back to me about better pics, but not owner history.

Current bid: US $4,550.00
Reserve not met

celsup i bet you're 82 is every bit as clean.
supraturbo85 ,
mine is nice, but not as nice as this guy makes his out to be. I would bet money my 82 is mechanically in better shape.

I GUARANTEE HIS DOES NOT HAVE THE EVER SO RARE 007 DEALER INSTALLED MOBILE PHONE....HAR DE HAR !!

·
Registered
304 Posts
why does is say 1983 Toyota Supra Base / L on the history report?
IIRC, 'Base' meant P-type (believe it or not!), and when they describe it as 'Base/L' I believe that means either/or -- i.e. the history report knows there are two different types, but doesn't know which one this or any particular car is.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Oh shit! I better not let my wife catch me lookin at this thing!:eekfacepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I just got cought looking!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Down to a day and a half at $5500. Bidding will probably pickup but we may be only headed to $7500 or so which is I bet below reserve. Anyone contact the seller and ask what the reserve is?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Down to a day and a half at $5500. Bidding will probably pickup but we may be only headed to $7500 or so which is I bet below reserve. Anyone contact the seller and ask what the reserve is?
It's at $7500 now and apparently the reserve has been met. By the way it jumped up to that price straight from $5500, I wouldn't be surprised if the seller bid on it to bring it to his reserve.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It's at $7500 now and apparently the reserve has been met. By the way it jumped up to that price straight from $5500, I wouldn't be surprised if the seller bid on it to bring it to his reserve.
I disagree. It would be pretty stupid for anyone with a good feedback score to bid on their own item, if you mean they bid on it using their own ID. Ebay would ban you for life if you got caught. I took a look at the bid history a few minutes ago and indeed it did jump from $5500 to $7500 in just one bid. I can't prove it, but the guy who bid $7500 may simply be trying to weed out the 'pretenders' by bidding the item out of range of what most current bidders are willing to bid. Ebay will bid automatically on your behalf up to the maximum you're willing to bid, and will automatically outbid everyone else if you have the high maximum bid. By bidding $2000 above the current high bid, this bidder will, at least, know that he's outbid everyone's maximum high bid, at least to this point. It doesn't guarantee you'll win, but it does to a certain extent reveal just how serious the bidding pool is, again, up to this point in time.

If the guy who bid $5500 -- the previous high bidder -- had set his maximum as, say, $8500, that's what the high bid would now be. For all we know, the guy who is current high-bidder at $7500 has a maximum set well above that figure to counter any last minute bids/snipes. A possibly expensive tactic, no doubt, but a good way to, in effect, drop the gauntlet and call out the serious bidders. Knowing what you're willing to pay (or not pay) beforehand is more effective in my opinion than trying to snipe for a lower price at the end of the auction. If the high bid exceeds the maximum you're willing to pay, you simply walk away, knowing you didn't get sucked into a bidding frenzy. A lot less stressful than trying to up your bid at the last minute. Kind of the clinical approach, no doubt, but smarter than bidding based solely on the emotion of 'wanting' something very badly. And all based on some of my own experiences...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Unfortunately I may disagree with you too. I had a friend that would run his own bids up on cars many times. I didn't agree with it especially when it was above the reserve price. He did get caught a total of 3 times by ebay. They suspended his selling privileges and gave him all the violation BS. In the end it was a minor slap on the wrist and he is selling again. I realized then that ebay is full of crap! He had a group of friends across the country that would bid on his items to run it up. A few of them had actually won items numerous times by going a little too far. They just left positive feedback and he did the same. Then he relisted the item again. Now I check history to see if there is a buyer that has posted positives many times. It was his give away.

With that being said. This Supra auction probably is legit. Probably did like you said and jumped the bid to hit reserve and get rid of the little players. My father would come up with a bid amount he was willing to pay and just throw it in even when it was a large margin over the current amount back when he was buying cars from ebay. He would always put 1 cent extra on it and it was amazing how many times that 1 cent won an auction.

I disagree. It would be pretty stupid for anyone with a good feedback score to bid on their own item, if you mean they bid on it using their own ID. Ebay would ban you for life if you got caught. I took a look at the bid history a few minutes ago and indeed it did jump from $5500 to $7500 in just one bid. I can't prove it, but the guy who bid $7500 may simply be trying to weed out the 'pretenders' by bidding the item out of range of what most current bidders are willing to bid. Ebay will bid automatically on your behalf up to the maximum you're willing to bid, and will automatically outbid everyone else if you have the high maximum bid. By bidding $2000 above the current high bid, this bidder will, at least, know that he's outbid everyone's maximum high bid, at least to this point. It doesn't guarantee you'll win, but it does to a certain extent reveal just how serious the bidding pool is, again, up to this point in time.

If the guy who bid $5500 -- the previous high bidder -- had set his maximum as, say, $8500, that's what the high bid would now be. For all we know, the guy who is current high-bidder at $7500 has a maximum set well above that figure to counter any last minute bids/snipes. A possibly expensive tactic, no doubt, but a good way to, in effect, drop the gauntlet and call out the serious bidders. Knowing what you're willing to pay (or not pay) beforehand is more effective in my opinion than trying to snipe for a lower price at the end of the auction. If the high bid exceeds the maximum you're willing to pay, you simply walk away, knowing you didn't get sucked into a bidding frenzy. A lot less stressful than trying to up your bid at the last minute. Kind of the clinical approach, no doubt, but smarter than bidding based solely on the emotion of 'wanting' something very badly. And all based on some of my own experiences...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts