Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm new at doing engine work and i had a knock in a 6m-ge that i installed...i'm in the process of taking it apart and i want to rebuild it. The head is nearly new and is ok with new valve seals and a recently done valve job. I was wondering what and where i could get a bottom end kit for the 6m and all that i would need to do to get it running properly...Do i get the 7m-ge rebuild kit? for the bottom end. Please help.

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
5M parts will work fine they are the same. The only thing you'll need are a 7M front main seal.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so what about the bearings? I think i'm going to replace all the bearings and rings as well. So what your saying is that the all the 5m-ge parts will work in the 6m-ge.

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
trdmkii said:
So what your saying is that the all the 5m-ge parts will work in the 6m-ge.
Yes. All the main and rod (both ends) bearings are the same between the 5, 6, & 7Ms. Note that the 6Ms use the select fit type bearing (they are #ed 1,2,3 etc) vs the std increment sized type used on the early 5Ms. Rings are the same as a 5M and the pistons are the same as an early 5M.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gera,
My 6M had a knock immediately after installation that turned out to be the oil pump driveshaft gear not meshing properly with the gear on the pump. Be sure and check for witness marks of them not meshing properly.
The bearings from the 5M will work on the 6M but the rods are different, so lets hope if it is a rod, that it isn't that extensive.
Jamie

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey ghost rider, i asked this question last year about the knock and when i put the motor in at first all i did was put my oil pump and pick up in but not my shaft.....then i tore it apart and put in my shaft and it still knocked.....so i'm still in the process of tearing it down, haven't tore off the rod caps yet. Your saying the rings from the 5m will work too?

·
Registered
85 Posts
trdmkii said:
hey ghost rider, i asked this question last year about the knock and when i put the motor in at first all i did was put my oil pump and pick up in but not my shaft.....then i tore it apart and put in my shaft and it still knocked.....so i'm still in the process of tearing it down, haven't tore off the rod caps yet.
Sorry, what a bummer!! :( Did you get a chance to go over the engine with a mechanic's stethoscope for the location of the knock? When seeking out odd noises in a running engine they are invaluable. That is how I found mine when it was still at Toysport, and was just started.

Your saying the rings from the 5m will work too?
Yup! The only parts that won't interchange in the bottom end are the rods, crank, oil pump, front pulley and front crank seal. The pistons are the same as early 5M (no dome).
Be sure you have a competent machinist check the rod housing bores for size and roundness, and if you don't already have one, get a GOOD torque wrench for re-assembly.
Good luck,
Jamie

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got some suggestions from buddies at school and work. I'm actually going to see about how much it is to build the bottom end since i really don't need the motor.....or do you guys think i should just find a 7m-gte? I would like to get it built up so i could turbo...is it better to turbo the 6m or just put a 7m in

·
Registered
198 Posts
6m rebuild

hi,,
about the 6m rebuild, i have the same question about the rebuild the whole engine, i live in CA San Jose city...can you list all the parts that i need to rebuild the whole 6m, what could be reuse from 6m and what would be different..as many as possible...
Thank you.

Toan

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
also how would one go about finding a 6m oil pump?

will (also have a 6m with fresh top end wondering about the bottom end)

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
also how would one go about finding a 6m oil pump?
Use the 5M oil pump. You need to use the oil pump and oil pan from a 5MGE to install a 6M into a MkII. 6Ms have a mid sump oil pump and pan vs the front sump MkII setup.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
thanks for the info

will

1 - 12 of 12 Posts