Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I stumbled across an 85 cressi in the JY today. 312000+ miles on the odometer. Got to looking at the engine and had a couple of questions concerning the identity. Is there anyway to discern if it is a 5 or 6M if you can't see the block casting number? Would this block casting number be on the passenger's side next to the exhaust mani? Is there something else that would easily identify it as a 6M? Reason I ask all this is there is a timing belt service sticker on the front of the upper timing belt cover. Strangely enough... it is completely in japanese!!!???? I did not have the time to crawl all over the car, but that little tidbit got me thinking.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
If you cannot see the casting number, the only other ways you are going to be able to tell if it is a 6M is by:

-The crank snout, if it is the same diameter where the pulley goes and where the timing pulley goes, it is a 6M, if the diameter where the pulley goes is smaller than where the timing pulley goes, it is a 5M.

-Pull out the engine, remove the head, oil pan, and one rod, and see if it is shorter than a known 5M rod.

-That or you could just clean off the engine casting plate, and see if it says 5M or 6M. It is on the pass side of the engine in front of the oil filter.

But also, you cannot always trust what the block says, mine says 5M on the engine stamp, but it has 6M rods, crank, and pulley in/on it.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Passenger side above the oil dip stick there is a flat spot you need to clean off That will tell you. Outside parts will not tell you. IE: timing cover/intake

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I will plan to spend a little more time in the JY on sunday.

·
Premium Member
5,565 Posts
Passenger side above the oil dip stick there is a flat spot you need to clean off That will tell you.
I just found one that has W9 stamped there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts