Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were many leaks in the engine bay, many of which I could not define for sure. I took the cam housings off, cleaned them, and reinstalled (torquing properly) with new FelPro metal gaskets. Now, they leak oil down both sides of the engine. Are they warped? What to do to seal these completely? Thank you.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I use a black gasket sealer on mine (not silicone) Its a tar like stuff and its a miracle at stopping cam tower leaks. Its made by perma tex and it comes in a small white bottle with a brush attatched to the cap. There should be a picture of it in the head rebuild section on my webpage. I have never seen new toyota cam tower gaskets but ?I think they may have a coating of some kind that the fel-pro ones don't.

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
The toyota ones have some kind of rubbery coating on them.

·
Registered
672 Posts
i did read something about someone had planning a badly warped head. and then the cam towers not sealing because the head is still a banana shape and the cam boxes leak or bind the cams..
( the bottom is flat where it meets the block because its been planned flat)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I needed the pic! 8) I plan to use the Permatex stuff to seal the housings. Will it hurt if some of that stuff gets into the oil area? I would prefer to gunk it up well, then wipe off the excess- don't want to do this again.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
you wont get any in there its pretty sticky stuff. Brush it onto the bottom of the gasket before installing it then place the gasket on the head. Then brush it onto the bottom of the cam tower and place that on the gasket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts