Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,870 Posts
djgoop said:
Anyone have suggestions on what to do during this swap to ensure passing the emissions? I have read about using the 5M EGR and upper manifold in this thread. Anything else I should look out for?
Well you can use your 'marked' car emissions failure to diagnose where to watch out on the 6m. You will need the 5m EGR, but is it clogged?
Post the numbers ex (NOx : test number/ allowed limit) and you'll get suggestions on what to try Specifically.
Without numbers, you'll get pretty general answers.

Ken

· Registered
3,870 Posts
Yes, High HC at idle is way rich.
White / blue smoke after idling for a minute is leaking valve stem seals. Sounds like a high mileage motor.

High mileage and running rich for a while will damage the cat.
I'd suspect needing a cat replacement, and run the car with a 20w50 high mileage oil and a pint of marvel mystery oil to see if it helps the smoke after idling.

10% ethanolized gas helps too and it's actually required below 7000ft elevation here in denver from around Thanksgiving to Memorial day (good time for emissions tests :)).

Ken

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.