Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, I know this is a no brainer but just curious to see what people think. I have a 6mge in my mk2 right now and it's either got a BHG or extremely bad valve seals so, heres the actual question... would it be worth repairing the 6m or would i be better off spending the $1,000 on a running '88 supra turbo, which has some problem with a cam sensor? (i dont know too much about the 7m, I was hoping the 6m would last me until i could afford the 2jz :32:) and all the swap threads say to at least double the cost of what im thinking, is this reasonable thought or do they just mean to expect the worst kinda thing? (and i have searched, i just want some opinions from some people)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would stay the course and fix the 6M for now, if it is really BHG and nothing else it shouldn't cost more than $100 if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
really depends on your financial situation. its going to cost alot more then $1000 to get that 7m in your car, and thats considering that its no going to need to be torn apart soon.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I had a lot of parts 'given' to me for my swap, and I'm WAY over $1000... and still not finished

I'm sure if I would have gone with stock parts, I probably could have come out around $1500 or so. All the BS you never think to add nickel and dimes your budget into bankruptcy. lol

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
It all depends on your budget. If you have $1,000 to spend, stay far far away from the 7m swap. If you have $3,000 to spend, I'd say go for it.

This isn't your daily driver, is it?

--billyM

·
POTATO
17,252 Posts
it always annoys me to no end when a newbie comes along and says "I blew up my extremely easy to maintain 5M/6M, and now I want to go turbo", as if having a turbo engine is going to make your life that much easier. If you couldn't keep your bare bones engine running correctly, what makes you think you can handle a 7MGTE which has to be paid attention to 50x more?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking something along the same lines. Sort out what is really wrong with the 6m.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Bahahahahha :laugh: No really man stay with the 6m, unlesss you are full of extra money, I'm up to $4,000 on my 7mgte swap and still have intercooler pipes and exaust to fabricate and a few small things. You could stick a ct26 on your rebuilt 6m :salute:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I would stay the course and fix the 6M for now, if it is really BHG and nothing else it shouldn't cost more than $100 if you do it yourself.
Agreed.

I wish I woulda gone 2j, I feel like it has so much more potential. Maybe i'm wrong.

And maybe it's because I dropped compression (on my 7m) on cylinder 3 at 9psi running the living shit out of it... so i'm just bias... I can't get myself to put the 5m back in temporarily.

My advice would be fix the 6m! Wait, save, wait somemore, save somemore... save a little more.

Then buy the 2j.

Tony

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Lack of maintenance and poor tuning will blow up a 2j just as soon as it will a 7m.

It's all in what you want to spend and how fast you want to go.

Happy with sub-200hp, ~15sec 1/4 mile, stay NA and enjoy your 6m. Cost, 1k for mods.
Want to see 300hp or so, ~13sec 1/4 mile, jump to the 7m-gte and enjoy it. Cost, 2-3k swap/mods.
Looking for over 400hp and ~12sec 1/4 mile or better, time to man-up with the 2j. Cost, 3-4k+ swap/mods.

All prices include you doing all the work, get used to that....

--billyM

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
easy decision. fix the 6m, Then all you have to do is put a CT26 turbo on it and start driving. Should cost under a $1000 to do it all.

If i had to do it all over again. I would of gone 2JZ from the get go. Ive got a million dollars in my 7m to get the power the 2JZ puts down with only a few dollars.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for one i hate people that come on here and assume that i cant maintain something because of a mechanical failure from the car sitting before i got it... plus whats the point in repairing the 6m when all i've ever read on here is that the motor cant push any decent numbers compared to others. i can DEFINATELY maintain a motor so kick that dumbass comment out the door. And ill be rebuilding the 6m after my swap pending the decision of a sale or build it properly to support a decent turbo. secondly i got an enitre car in good enough condition to make some money back so i think that i can make this swap with only spending $ 1500 including the cost of the car before i take deductions for the parts i can sell. also with the ct26 on the 6m you can only boost so much and i'd have to put the rrfpr in and all that kind of stuff and i dont want stress anything beyond what i need to.
SO in other words i picked up an 88 with a 2mm hks head gasket arp head studs and a bunch of reworked parts into it recently done for 1,000$... and BTW this car is a daily driver during the summer but IF something were to go wrong i have another vehicle to drive.

·
Registered
906 Posts
for one i hate people that come on here and assume that i cant maintain something because of a mechanical failure from the car sitting before i got it...
Go re-read, you initial post ... then ... go look in the mirror, and ask that person .....

Did I tell them that ? :eekfacepalm:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Go re-read, you initial post ... then ... go look in the mirror, and ask that person .....

Did I tell them that ? :eekfacepalm:
where does it say anything about not maintaining something?
and BTW i did everything any mechanic told me i should be doing to keep it running ie. plugs, wires, dissy cap, synthetic oils (engine was running synthetics so i kept it the same), checked compression, belts were in good shape, etc...
so can someone tell me how maintainance can change whethere a motor thats been sitting for many years blows a gasket? and a head gasket is just another gasket so sitting without running much would cause it to dry up and its just a matter of time.
and to the newbie comments.... i hate people that have been on these forums a long time cant have the decency to at least assume that maintenaince was first on my mind.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i hate people that have been on these forums a long time cant have the decency to at least assume that maintenaince was first on my mind.
We'll if you check a persons posts in there profile after you see them leave a douchebag negative one. Look at 90% of that persons comments. They really just think they are high up in an internet hierarchy, And are dicks and "wiser" then everyone else. Most people who've been on the forum for a long time are nice and always help and truely give amazing advice. But some are just asses who don't have friends outside of the internet :eekfacepalm:

Personally if you wan't more power dump the 6m they never appealed to me personally. Because in my opinion if your doing a swap might as well go for power (300hp+) not just alittle better then the stock 5m. Go for a 7m or 1j and love every second of driving. It will cost money, time, headaches, sleep and lack of time spend with loved ones. But in the end you'll never stop smiling when your in your car. Plus who doesn't like to be able to beat most the cars on the road.

·
Registered
906 Posts
We'll if you check a persons posts in there profile after you see them leave a douchebag negative one. Look at 90% of that persons comments. They really just think they are high up in an internet hierarchy, And are dicks and "wiser" then everyone else. Most people who've been on the forum for a long time are nice and always help and truely give amazing advice. But some are just asses who don't have friends outside of the internet :eekfacepalm:

Personally if you wan't more power dump the 6m they never appealed to me personally. Because in my opinion if your doing a swap might as well go for power (300hp+) not just alittle better then the stock 5m. Go for a 7m or 1j and love every second of driving. It will cost money, time, headaches, sleep and lack of time spend with loved ones. But in the end you'll never stop smiling when your in your car. Plus who doesn't like to be able to beat most the cars on the road.

Referring to me ? Tell me ... why SHOULD, i be nice. I don't know you, you don't know me, and, you - newer people - come here, don't fully explain the situation, yet, expect us to ass-u-me, you know what you are talking about ??:zzzzz:

Read some of my latest asshole posts ... especialy the one asking why the OLD guys, don't help.

Not using the tools you are given -- ie. Pages upon pages of answered questions, and not giving complete info. will, in effect, get you asshole responses.

If you don't like it ... use the ingore user button. Then, you can miss out on the useful stuff even more, that is written by very knowlegable people, that have done this perhaps 100's of times.

I'll be MIA for several weeks or more again ... FNG's make me realise why I work 10-12 hour days, and hide in Area 51/52, actualy building these cars, instead of talking about them !!!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
^^^^^dont let these new guys bother you to much...life is to short, besides we see these guys come and go, they get frustrated and sell thier cars to people that actually know how to work on them.

new guys, dont let the old guys bother you either. if you guys keep posting negative things towards "old" guys all the help youre gonna get is from newbs. There are some sharp newbs on here but some will talk you right in to a burned up piston. choose your battles wisley. fighting on an open forum is just stupid and gets you no help..

to answer your question..your thread is titled 6mge vs 7mgte SWAP
you already have the 6mge swapped in...right?
so are you asking can i do a 7mgte swap for less than fixing my 6m...NO. you can fix the 6m for under $1000 easily. now the 7mgte will spank that 6m all day long in the fun meter.. longvevity department, i cant say but it WILL cost you alot more for the 7mgte swap. so yes, obviously you searched and all these people saying it will cost more arent saying that for shits and giggles. it COSTS more than $1000, alot more.
you say you wanted more opinions, theyre going to be the same..how many opinions do you need? that cps the 7mgte needed is and easy fix. if you dont know how to do just post up and ask...just dont fight with people or you wont be helped...good luck new guy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts