Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wonderin which engine would you swap for a 5mge. Consider proformance and dealin with puttin the engine in which would you rather have in your car?

·
Super Moderator
8,390 Posts
7MGTE, easy choice. I've had 2 Mk2s now with 6MGEs and the performance isn't really that impressive, no matter how much money I've thrown at it.

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
I think you're trying to compare two different worlds. The 6m-ge is about as plug-n-play as you get and a 25 or 30 hp gain for in the neighborhood of $750-$950 all told plus mabe a long weekend or a couple weekends for the swap. The 7m-gte is a 60hp gain (stock) for the cost of a running parts car and a few accessories (anywhere from say $2000-$3500 depending how reliable you want it to be) plus a good month's worth of work. What it really boils down to is how much are you willing to spend in money and effort vs. how fast do you want to go. Don't forget to consider you're own level of comfort in dealing with all things mechanical and electrical and where and how to transport and store a mk3 parts car for the duration. The true cost per hp is not linear but rather exponential. No one can make this choice for you. This group will support whichever you decide as they are both good options.

Phil D.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I think one thing should be added to Phil's Post (even tho its pretty damn on the money as usual).. and thats the 7M-GTE has alot more potential for growth than the 6M-GE does at a lower cost. Mostly because there is alot more aftermarket support for the 7M-GTE than the 6M. However, the 6M swap is, again, as Phil said, VASTLY easier, and many people are quite happy with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea..i see what you guys are saying. this is the question that has been on my mind for a while..one week ill be for the 6m, the other week ill want the 7mgte...i can see how i can have more fun with the 7mgte but what is making me think about the 6m is all the parts that you have to gather for the 7mgte. decesions...decesions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts