Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Survived our first true driving day. Couple hours out at the track just feeling things out. Lots still to do

IMG_5659.JPG IMG_5660.JPG

Till I get around to putting together a full run down of what this is start here I guess...

Main specs
77 Celica GT
20R with 282C/440 Beast cam and oversized (22R stock) valves and springs
Cressida front hubs and rotor
Supra front calipers (plan to swap for Cressida or Wilwood)
4-Runner Master cylinder

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have always loved this generation of Celica. When a race car drives back onto the trailer at the end of an event it's a good day!

Do you have any idea what it weighs? If it's under 2000 lbs the supra calipers may be fine with race pads, steel lines, and good fluid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm curious to find out how much it weighs too. I will let you guys know when we get the opportunity. Internet claims stock was 2500lb but that seems high. We didn't think to weigh the car before we started

My reason for looking to move away from the Mk2 Supra calipers was that I had to take .04" off each pad to get it to fit with the Cressida rotor. I wish I could get away without having to do that every time we need pads because that was messy. I'm sure it wasn't healthy for me either even with a respirator.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have the same problem with the Nissan brake setup. I ask Porterfield Brakes to shave 0.5mm off each pad or they're too snug when new.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked out Porterfield's site. That's a good name to remember in the future and see if what they can do custom of us

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If you send Porterfield some old backing plates they will custom refit them with any compound you like. Not cheap, but my Raybestos pads last 40+ hours at race speeds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More progress... Finally has a hood and both fenders. Got the car a bit lower and played with adding camber and caster
IMG_5742.JPG IMG_5736.JPG

Now we have to do something about the rubbing on the fenders unfortunately. Slow progress getting the engine running smoother and the car driving better. No real suspension/tire setup has been done yet

Attachments

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Looking good! How did you get that intake from previous pics under the hood?

It looks like you will need make fender flares for the front (at least). Getting some negative camber will help, but check the rules about measuring at 10 to 2-oclock from the center of the wheel. If the tire isn't covered by the fender or flare they will not let you race. With wide wheels and tires (and -3.5 camber) I have to cut the wheel arches until the tires don't rub, then add flares. The photo below show my new fenders that will rub on track and will not pass the rules for coverage. I'll be taking a saw with me to the track Friday to eliminate rubbing, then add flares.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True, that intake did not fit at all. It was a junkyard find that worked at the time. We found a low profile triangle foam filter that fit under the stock hood. That filter is almost as big as the stock 20R intake
IMG_5705[1].JPG

We have been trying to avoid add on flares. We may have misread the rules as putting a point penalty on flares so the goal right now is to try and stretch the stock metal to fit if we can
One of our project in the near future is to build a spacer to put between the upright and the LCA to get a better camber curve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts