Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just went to pick up some panel trims off an 82, hatch has the glass, the wiper motor, not bad, no rust. better than mine. ask price n $77..doesnt sounds right for me at the junkyard.

what do u thing fair or not?

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
just went to pick up some panel trims off an 82, hatch has the glass, the wiper motor, not bad, no rust. better than mine. ask price n $77..doesnt sounds right for me at the junkyard.

what do u thing fair or not?
Mint condition hatches sell for more than well used rusted out complete Supras. Anything under $100 is a good price for any complete hatch.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think it's a good price if it's the hatch with window in good cond. No rust! I also bought a hatch rust free from the junkyard for about the same price and don't regret it one bit.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
if its actually no rust, its not a good deal, its a steal. I wouldn't sell a true rust free hatch for any less then 200 bucks up here. I've seen maybe 3 of them come through the wreckers in the last 8 years or so, and I bought 2 of them lol.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Buy It....Fast......before someone else does. It's a great deal if its rust free, especially in the NorthEast. Was looking for a clean hatch for over a year before I found a great one for 100.00 on the forum. Didn't think twice about price.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:32: well no one really touch the car except me, thanks guys. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I paid over $200 for mine and was glad to get it, and I live in California. For $77 and a rust free hatch in salt road country, this is a steal. Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:32: i already spent my **weekly supra money** , seems like ill never finish !!!!

i guess thats when u want to do it in the right way....:zzzzz:

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
If Crazy Rays is charging that now, their prices have gone up. I got a mint hatch from them in 2004 for about $50 (Erdman Ave). You are probably also being charged for the rear wiper and motor. Plus you get charged for the "spoiler". Brandywine would charge you twice as much, if not more. There are several threads on the forums on how to modify and preserve your hatch so the new one doesn't rust out like the old one (verify glass seals, drill drain holes).

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Still haven't painted mine or installed it. If anyone has any tips on treating them not to rust (there are some posts that aren't showing up in my searches), post them up. Drain holes are a new one for me, but sounds plausible. I'll be having the work done by others and I'm afraid it's going to cost a mint to have it done right.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just paid $87 for an '85 rust-free hatch fully loaded with wiper and motor, interior trim, dual spoiler, glass, and even some crappy window tint. Nab it before some idiot drops a starter through the glass.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i went to crazy rays at sparrows point off 695, and yes lately they bump the prices, n yes they charge for the wiper motor, wiper arm, without the spoiler (off 82) ,

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
not to piss off anyone but i bought one from my local P&P for $28 and change. its complete, window, dual spoiler, wiper, wiper motor and Completely RUST FREE!!! Hell i bought that up and i don't even own a Supra. but i know someone would want it. there getting so hard to find. i bought alot of parts off that car and i still have most of them. mainly maroon rear interior parts.

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
I wouldn't recomend drilling drain holes, there are already holes for that. The reason they rust is the factory primer on the inside isn't very good and the seam on the inside where the inner skin folds into the outer is not properly protected. If you have a mint hatch and want it stay that way what you need to do is cut a series of holes into the inner skin underneath the trim panel so that you can get access to the inside of the hatch. Then you need to remove any corrison that has already started, get all dust and debris out of there, hit the inside with a good rust primer and let it dry. Then lay a bead of body seam sealer along the inner seam where the inner skin folds in to the outer, being very carefull to completely seal that joint while not plugging up the drains (you'll need to spread the sealer with your fingers in many places). Then lay a coat of paint over everything after the sealer has dried. To top it off, you're going to want to remove the seam sealer used on the inside of the bottom edge of the hatch. If theres any rust on this hatch it will have already started under this sealer, so sand it all off, rust primer, seam sealer and paint again. Obviously you need to prime and paint the panel under the trim piece where you cut the holes too. This may sound extreme to many of you but trust me when I say its the only way to properly derust a minimaly rusty hatch and prevent a mint one from developing rust. If you live in a really dry, hot climate and park indoors you might be able to get away with not doing this but any mint hatch in a wet or snowly climate will eventually rust out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts