Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking into turning a 77 GT (RA24/RA23?) into a Champcar racer... because I can and it was there. I know this is more a second gen Celica-Supra forum but everything strictly 1st gen seems to be dead/unmanned/cannot or will not allow new member and seems to have been left untouched for at least a decade. Soooo I am here seeing what I can learn. Currently a 6 person team, all engineers, working to make this happen

My goal here is to find out what will work for brake and suspension upgrades for the 77 GT be it from a mk2 Supra, Cressida or anything else. I am not afraid of modify or machining parts as I am an engineer and more than capable. I would like to not reinvent the wheel unless it is really necessary. But I do need to end up with parts that will survive a season of 8hr endurance races without failing.

Currently known limitations are that we will be limited to 180 treadwear tires and would like to use 15" rims as that gives us the best selection of tires
From what I can tell on the front the spindles are the same as early mk2 4 lug supras and the same is true for the rear drums... I think. I've been limited to comparing a lot of these parts through what I can find online/RockAuto when specs are listed

Current crazy thoughts... Leaning on what I play with normally I am considering using using a big brake setup that is growing in the Honda world. JCW Mini 11.75" front rotors with boxster calipers. I have the front and rear 4 pots from a 2000 boxster that I never used in a different project. Best of all that should fit under a 15" rim and 4x100 too. But no idea what to do with the rear brakes or MC.

The research I've done while waiting on Mods to approve my post has me looking at the Cressida Big Brake Swap. Thanks the the way back machine I know a lot of mk2 will bolt to my early Celica. In theory then, I should be able to follow the same path a mk2 would for the Cressida swap

That said, nothing is set in stone. I am here to see what works and has been tried already.

image0000021.jpg

IMG-1177.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Bit more progress as of 11/29/20
IMG-4131.JPG

IMG-4132.JPG

12/13/20
Nice out side so we pulled it out to scrub the engine bay. Small peak of the cage to tower bars. Holes are all still rough
IMG_4191.JPG

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
This was one of my favorite cars when I was in high school! I can't wait to see how this project evolves. Where are you located?

How competitive are you planning to be in Champcar? The horsepower war is real. As a new team, focus on reliability and getting seat time. Speed will come as you develop the car and your own driving skills. Being engineers will help - you will find every weakness in that chassis and drivetrain, and find ways to build them stronger.

Step 1: Reliability
Step 2: Good brakes
Step 3: Add power
Step 4: Welcome to the addiction!

A taste of the future: Champcar at Barber Motorsports Park last weekend. We finished 2nd overall on Sunday.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are located in Aluquerque NM. We are keeping the stock R20 for now and building it up with cams and internals. Not trying for the moon just yet. We want to go out, have fun and finish in a running car even if we are at the back of the race

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I should start a proper build thread somewhere, like the racing thread? Thoughts?

Here are a couple more teasers of where we are now...
IMG_4297.JPG IMG_E4314.JPG IMG_4301.JPG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts