Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to get more HP naturaly aspirated, please don't lecture me, I know the costs, that's why I'm just asking questions for now. Anyway, I know you don't want to run bigger injectors in the 5MGE because the ECU has a weak fuel map, is that correct? Well if I got larger injectors and a 7M ECU, would they work in my 5M?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I don;t think so. The 5M harness is completely different from the 7M, so you would be fabricating alot of the harness, plus the 7M uses some different sensors than the 5M, so they wouldn;t be reading right. The other thing is (and this is going to a controversial point... so I guess it should be taken as IMHO), the 7M 24 valve heads breath better in N/A trim than a 5M 12 valve, and the fuel map is much more agressive to take advantage of that. That, along with the added displacement of the 7M would make me think the 7M would over fuel the 5M.

·
Super Moderator
8,358 Posts
You should be able to use 7MGE ECU and harness pretty easily in a Mk2. There is no great advantage to doing it that I know of. Function wise the 7MGE has essentially the same lousy EFI system as a 5M does. I've looked into doing this mainly to get the 7M harness for the 7M AEM ECU and I didn't see too many hurdles to overcome. Basically the wiring is the same as switching over to a 7MGTE electrical system. In a nutshell you'll need to switch over the fuel resistor, ignitor/coil, AFM (maybe not; the resistance scale is slightly different), injectors, switch harness plugs for the ISC valve and possibly the TPS, you'll need to switch over all the coolant switches as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts