Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7M-GE Swap Plug and Play Wiring
For 1984 mk2 and 1986.5-1988 7m

I've noticed a few more questions popping up on the forum regarding the 7mge swap and the wiring involved. The wiring is basically the same as a 7mgte swap though.

Electronics you will need off of a mk3 supra:
-Igniter assembly( with coil) <--- Remove igniter bracket and install 5m ignier bracket to bolt in stock position
-Fuel Injector resistor<--- same as above- replace bracket
- (Small Yellow Connector )M1 connector from under dash behind glovebox
- (Large Yellow Connector) B1 connector from under dash behind glovebox
- (Small Yellow Connector) C1 connector from near igniter under hood.

Electronics you will need off of a mk2 Supra:
-Rip apart a 5m ECU and unsolder the 24 pin connector (connector U) from the circuit board. then remove the connector from the ECU with a hackasaw or sawsall.
-Yellow Connector K (14 pin connector) off of the engine side of a 5m wiring harness behind glovebox.

Ok so now that you have all of your parts you need, you can start making your harness. Heres how to wire it.

Now Its not completely Plug and Play. You will need to solder your C1 Pins to your 3A & 3E Pins in the underhood junction block. You will also need to run wires from the glovebox to the drivers side kick panel for your 2A, 2I and 2D connectors.

Connector Locations

B1 = Large yellow connector taken from mk3 body

M1 = Smaller yellow connector taken from mk3 body

C1 = Small yellow connector taken from mk3 body near igniter aseembly

U = the connector you took from the ECU)

2A = Connector in junction block behind drivers side kick panel
2D = Connector in junction block behind drivers side kick panel
K = 14 Pin connector taken from 5m engine harness
2I = Connector in junction block behind drivers side kick panel
3A = Junction block under hood
3E = Junction block under hood
COR (Circuit Opening Relay) = Yellow and Green Relay assembly in junction block behind drivers side kick panel

Connector M1

M1 Pin# Connect to Pin # of Connector

Pin 2.......................Pin 7.........U
Pin 1.......................Pin 6.........2A
Pin 5.......................Pin 9.........2D
Pin 10.....................Pin 19.......U
Pin 11.....................Pin 18.......U
Pin 9.......................Pin 3.........K

Connector B1

B1 Pin# Connect to Pin # of Connector

Pin 9.......................Pin 13&14........U
Pin 17.......................Pin 9..............2I
Pin 18......................Pin 17.............B1
Pin 5........................Pin 1...............COR

Connector C1

C1 Pin# Connect to Pin # of Connector

Pin 1.........................Pin 1.........3A
Pin 2.........................Pin 6.........3A
Pin 4.........................Pin 5.........3A
Pin 5.........................Pin 3.........3E

Moderators you can do whatever you feel is neccessary with this, If you find it useful, you can put it in the FAQ or sticky it or whatever.

I will be editing this from time to time as I'm sure I've missed a few things.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks a bunch!!! You have been a life-saver. The car now starts but the timing needs to be fixed a bit. Your write-up is as clear as crystal. It applies to those who are not familiar with the MKII's and MKIII's. Luckily, the junkyard close to my house still had everything from the MKIII. I have one question though. In your write-up, you mentioned that I need to connect Pin11 (M1)...Pin18 (U). However, the M1 connector I got only has 10 pins. Should I disregard this or the M1 connector varies differently every year? Once again...thanks!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, your right there isonly 10 pins on the m1 connector, i made a mistake there. Just look for a Yellow wire w/ Black stripe. Thats what you want to hook up to Pin18 U.

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
I'm also going to be making one of these harnesses.

I have an '89+ harness and connectors from behind the dash. 89+ connectors are grey for those that are using newer parts.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hitman024 said:
How is this different from using a 90 turbo in an 82 car ?
Honestly I have no clue. You can use my writeup as a guide to your swap. But you will have to cross reference pins and wire colors and functions to correctly set-up your harness. They should be somewhat similar.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hmmmm.

Looks like I'm going to have to go and hit up a junk yard pretty soon.

How would this apply to a 90 7m-ge and an 84 supra?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Like I said in a couple posts above, I'm not sure of the year to year differences in the wiring of the mk2 or the engine wiring of the 7m. You could try cross referencing stuff to meet your application though.

Or you could contact a few members on here who build 7m plug and play harnesses and get one built for your application. I know Junkie makes a harness, you could contact him about pricing and so forth.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks. This car is straight kickin my butt right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
M1 Pin# Connect to Pin # of Connector
Pin 9.......................Pin 3.........K? theres no pin 3 on the 84

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
I'm so glad that each year the wiring harness DIDNT change between the supras... the 82-86 harnesses are all identical and the 86.5-92 harnesses are also the same... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Wow, just compared my notes with Cartman's for the 1st time. Not even close.
K in the 84 manual is a 2 pin plug, this is the incorrect plug.Better yet, I'd have to do some research in the manuals, I don't use pin 3.

Edit -- better yet, I don't have a clue as to what Cartman did, pin 3 is a blank spot on the engine harness = NO WIRE goes there.

The plug he is reffering to, is Plug W in the 84 manual.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On my 84 manual pin 2 and 3 is blank. so out of these 4 wires witch one do i use?

How do i count pins on this?

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
On my 84 manual pin 2 and 3 is blank. so out of these 4 wires witch one do i use?

How do i count pins on this?
Top pic .... pin 12

Bottom pic, turn 180* read from right to left to count pins.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Don't know, apparently his car runs. I'm not going to x-reference his whole set-up. You have your freebie, be happy :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts