Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I really should start by making a post in the Kill stories section... lol.

http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?p=603906#post603906

Once I do i'll put the post up there ^^

First off, I dropped Compression on Cylinder 3. I'll post up my Compression tests today or tomorrow and let you see the progression of the decompression (on snap, that rhymed).

I pulled the engine, it was misfiring and smoking a white'ish blue. I then pulled everything apart and I got the head off today.

This is what I found, I think I deserve a swift kick to the head :duh:

Yeah... so I was looking for some advice. I went to my machine shop and got some choices. We discussed doing (some of the stuff just for safe measure, I don't have rod knock) rings, bearings, 1 new pistons, gaskets, head gasket, head studs (somehow we bent mine?? AND they were ARP!), micro-polish the crank, boil the block, hone cylinder 3, reboil the block (I don't know all the lingo, so if I said something that sounds outa place, then it is out of place!) He said something around $400, I can't remember the exact number so give or take $50. They'll do the machining and we'll be putting it all together (between my brother, my dad, and I we've got it under control. I'm not great with engine work). The guy at the machine shop told me to test the head by pouring gas in the intake and exhaust ports with the valves closed to see if the seals are ruined or the valves are bent (i'll do this soon).

Anyhow, I'm looking for words of wisdom!

Thanks for anything you provide in advance.

Tony

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Maybe you need to bite the bullet and to go forgies?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
why u dont let them test the head???? wont cost to much...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why u dont let them test the head???? wont cost to much...
The machine shop guy was pushing me away from having them test it... I might just have them do it anyways, I need to have another chat with my dad, he's the highest authority in my book (not that I don't need extra opinions, one person can't always be right! But he did guess what happened currently and was spot on).

Won't help much when A/F's are too lean. :laugh:

Do I dare ask what the fuel system mods have been done?

Edit: 440s spotted in the 11th pic. ;)
How can you see that? Haha. Do you like my Soy Sauce buckets? Did you see those too, lol. (I'm not asain, btw)

As you can read in my sig. I have Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Reg, Wideband, Walbro fuel pump, and SAFC. I wanted to upgrade to the 550cc injectors but only have stock injectors currently. My A/F's at greater than 70% throttle were about 11/1's, my brother and I tuned it and intended to never run lean, even at the top of 5th.

Dunno if more info helps, i'm just trying to decide what the best decision is from here.

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've come to the conclusion that I leaned out on cylinder 3. The tune according to the Wideband was fine, but I've been told you can't see if one cylinder is leaning out.

I'm trying to decide now whether I should have my 440's flow tested or to just buy new injectors. I want to get 550's and throw my Lexus AFM on but from what I understand 550's are like $100 a pop (Idk, how much they are. I should probably do some searching).

Any suggestions?

I'm taking the rotating assembly to the machine shop sometime in the next few days. But I have some stuff I need to gather and I need to make some decisions before start reassembly.

Tony

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
you either leaned it out or you had Detonation which will cause the same thing. Either way It doesnt look like you did any damage to anything other than the Piston Itself. I would replace the 1 piston and retorque the Head bolts. If there isnt anything wrong with the Bottom end why spend money screwing with it. If its not Broke, Dont try and Fix It.

What type turbo are you running and Did you have it Shimmed? You can get $550s for $350 a set, If you want, Im planning on doing 680s here shortly so I can sell you the 550s that I have. PM me if your interested.

Robert

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, we're replacing just the one piston. I'm just concerned about this happening again. I want to eventually run 18psi, but I'm scared something else will break.

I have a 57 trim ct26a. We were tuning it with an SAFC and according to my AEM Wideband it was running rich (11/1's). The Turbo wasn't shimmed but the boost was turned up with a manual boost controller (according to my Boost Gauge I was running 9psi, we had it turned up just below fuel cut, so somewhere between 9-11psi). I also have a Walbro fuel pump and a Fuel Pressure Regulator. I picked up a Lexus AFM from the junkyard and was going to put it on once I bought 550's, I'm currently just running the stock AFM.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/1413923423.html
I just found this Supra on Craigs List, it's supposedly has upgraded internals and was rebuilt recently. Might be worth buying the car for just the motor, not really sure.. I'm just trying to figure out all my options.

Tony

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Ah, the good Old Walbro fuel pump..... I bought 3 of them, Installed 3 of them and Blew 3 of them. I would buy that pump if my life depended on it. For some it works fine, for other (Most others) They are just crap Pumps, Those are the reason I bought a MK4 TT pump and called it a day. Sounds like you just leaned out for a Quick second and popped that piston or that Piston was just Fatiqued. Replace it and trust your tuning. I would consider that pump though but thats just me brotha.....

Again, let me know about the 550s, RC is what I have.

Robert

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
I would skip all the extra bottom end work. Get the injectors flow tested or upgrade to 550's. If there's THAT much of the piston missing you had a seriously lean condition on that cylinder. That means that potentiallya clogged injector. I've not dealt with a lot of issues with burnt pistons and the like so take that with a grain of salt.

Also that IS correct about not being able to monitor the Wideband AFR's of independant cylinders. That would require a wideband O2 sensor for EACH cylinder (for a total of 6.). Which would be epensive and take some fancy (and by fancy I mean expensive) gauges to monitor.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/1413923423.html

I kept looking at this Supra and thinking... Aftermarket pistons and Cams would be nice, then upgrade to 550's.

I turns out it's most likely stock internals. Long story, but if I'm going to rebuild using stock replacement, why not just get another bottom end? Or just an entire mkIII for dirt cheap? lol.

I'm about to have two of everything.

I'm not sure of all my plans,

I'm going to get it tomorrow :D

Tony

1 - 12 of 12 Posts