Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for all you turbo MKIIs out there. Did you have to recondition your turbo exhaust manifolds at all before slapping them on? I just picked one up, and am wondering if the two mating gasket surfaces should be machined down to a perfectly flat, shiny surface? They don't look that bad, but don't know if they are good enough to use as is. Anybody have any comments on this, thanks.

Sonny

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yea, I've put those together with tons of rust on the mating surfaces. Sealed fine. Just do the best you can w/ a wire wheel and you're good to go.

Christian

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
Exhaust manifold gasket is pretty thick and pliable and will take up a lot of irregularities. Just scrape off all the old if there's any stuck on there.

Phil D.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
i personally always use ultra gray gasket maker on both sides of the exhaust manifold gasket just to be safe. even if the gasket is new. i know i dont have too but its something i do. also, dont put too much cause you dont want it squeezing into the exuahst runners. if you do it, just a thin flat bead around each port on both sides.
william

1 - 6 of 6 Posts