Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have 7MGTE rods on my 6M..... the only problem you are gonna face doing this conversion is to have a new set of pistons 0.030 over than stock cause the rods are way bigger than the 6M rods

I got a good deal on my Ross Racing Piston and ring set for just $650.00 if you want this kind of set-up

6MGTE Project..... MODS
7MGTE Rods
ARP Head Studs, Rod Bolts, Main Studs
2.0mm HKS Bead type MHG
3 angle Racing valve job
CT-26 Turbo
AEM 1:1 FPR
295cc injectors
MSD 6BTM w/ 2-step
FMIC w/ 2.5 piping
Walbro 255lph
HKS S-AFR
3" DP 3" exhaust

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re:

Thanks for the help ITSUKI Drifter. Turns out our final set-ups will be quite close (that is whenever I get mine done in the next year or so). Couple more questions for you:

1. What compression pistons did you end up going with from Ross? Do you know how they compare to the Wisecos?
2. Does using the 2.0mm head gasket change the final compression ratio at all (I was thinking about going with the HKS 1.2mm head gasket)?
3. Why do we have to go with .030" over pistons with the larger 7M-GTE rods? I don't understand this?
4. Do you remeber what are the ARP part numbers for the different studs are (sorry)? Some people use the ARP studs from a 7M, but these I'm told are too short for the 5M/6M head. Thanks for the help. 8)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: re:

1. What compression pistons did you end up going with from Ross? Do you know how they compare to the Wisecos?

The Ross Racing Pistons I am using is a custom made with a -20cc dish and it yielded to about 8.0:1 CR

2. Does using the 2.0mm head gasket change the final compression ratio at all (I was thinking about going with the HKS 1.2mm head gasket)?

With all the machine work and head work that was done to my engine it yielded to a 2.0mm MHG for the compensation of the machining.

3. Why do we have to go with .030" over pistons with the larger 7M-GTE rods? I don't understand this?

The bore of the 6M is a little small for the 7M rods fit into... and I specifically want the .30 over pistons for my motor.... ask your machine shop to what he suggest for the bore

4. Do you remeber what are the ARP part numbers for the different studs are (sorry)? Some people use the ARP studs from a 7M, but these I'm told are too short for the 5M/6M head. Thanks for the help. 8)

I will have it to you tomorrow... I am at work right now.... about the 7M studs... I have the machine shop shave some metal from the top of the head where the bolts will sit so that I would have more threads to clamp the heads down.... if you need anymore Q's just e-mail me.... 8)

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I was looking up info on connecting ruds, and found misinformation in this thread. The 7mgte rods are "not" too big for the bore of the 5mge cylinder.
-Aaron

·
Super Moderator
8,363 Posts
Bearings are the same size, but they carry different toyota part numbers. There are a lot of thing to a rod besides bearing size and length. They could have changed the cross section, the manufacturing method, the alloy etc. all of which you can't see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts