Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I have a 5m that good for another few thousands miles. I want a little more power than the 5m can give me.

Option 1: A complete Mk3 with an automatic tranny and an included manual tranny. N/A, Blown head gasket. $500

Option 2: PNP complete &m turbo. manual tranny. complete harness. basically unmolested. all for about $500

So my big question is wat is your input?

and would a manual ECU work on a auto ECU on the 7m? ill search after this, just thought i would add it here too.

thanks!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
You can use a auto ecu in a 5 speed car, but not the other way around. You'll need a few parts for the swap. Engine and uncut harness (duh, heh) ecu, afm, injector resister, coil and igniter (if not gte) and a few other bits. Either way, you would always be better just buying a complete donor car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the only thing keeping me from getting the donor car is that its auto. i wanted a manual. but since i have to cut some parts of the harness to adapt to the 5m wiring, im wondering if it would be that much more difficult to modify the auto harness to a manual harness. or just take the manual harness and use it on the 7m block. or is there any difference in idle or anything like that?

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
If you're putting it in a 5 speed car, you can still use the donor. Your tranny will bolt up to the engine, making it a 5 speed. You can use the auto harness, their will just be some wires you wont use.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm..now im really thinking of the donor car...now i was lookin a little bit around and notice a lot of people doing this swap use the 5m harness? which is easier to use? 5m or 7m?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now just gotta make sure the donor mk3 is still available!

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
7m would be the best to use. I *believe* Robert from 935 motorsports had a 7m running on a 5m harness and/or electronics, and converted it back to 7m because it ran horribly on 5m hardware.. I would get the donor car though. You have everything you need then. No time waiting on items to be shipped, no worrying if they work or not, and the peace of mind when you're able to bite into the project, having everything needed by your side. I bought the entire car, and I'm so glad I did. I wouldn't do it any other way myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now i was reading and a popular problem for 7m's are the bearings correct? and another question that caught my eye was is it all worth it for an extra 30 hp? or are these engines boasting any higher potential than a 5m?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
There are a number of 7M cars with well over twice the HP of the 5M. With the turbo, there's a lot you can do to add power.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Another popular problem with the 7m is blowing head gaskets. Keep your head bolts torqued and you're good.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'll probably go for the 7MGTE if I can find a parts car for a price I'm willing to pay. I always like a cheap start, don't mind costs after the start haha.

Will rebuild from ground up, wire in correctly, and boost consciously (gotta avoid getting boost hungry) motor should be as reliable as they are when they're in Mark 3s if cared for. There's a guy selling a 150K stock daily driver for 3K here. Won't pay 3K for a car I'm gonna gut haha.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is 200 whp possible from a n/a 7m without going over the cost of a turbo setup?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Probably, but it'll be close, dollar wise.
7M-GE's usually make only 180 or less to the wheels.

PS. I did a stock 7M-GTE and did 307 to the wheels with just an exhaust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts