Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone not here to diagnose the 1000 problems this car has, im pretty poor and unfortunately i have to cut corners with my only car because i cant afford a new cps, ive read that a 86-88 7mge distributor would work with the turbo ecu but ive only found a few threads referring to this with not enough info, would it be possible to swap the cps for a 7mge distributor? Also not sure if i can just use the distributor as a cps or if i have to convert it to a single coil or if i have to swap the internals that part wasnt made clear to me in my research. Thanks

Reason i need to do this is because apparently a new cps is 300+ and the cover on my current one got brittle and vaporized, before that the car would be hard to start and it had a random miss, now it doesnt start and souds like its running on 5. honestly there are tons of things wrong with the car (air leaks,loud tapping noise, tps, vsv, open dp etc...) and cps could still be working but im just trying to narrow it down.

·
Registered
15,005 Posts
Yes, it has the same pickups, but the CPS cover will not bolt on. The 86.5-88 supra distributor has the same connector and pinout to plug into the engine harness as well.

IF the CPS was bad, the car wouldnt likely run at all. Check the wiring to the CPS. I had to strip the shielding off the wires going across the engine as most of them inside of it had cracks and were crossing signals. Soldiered new wire in to repair each one and reshielded it etc.. and my issue went away. Id check that and the coils and injectors etc... before replacing the CPS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man thanks for reply, and the info. fortunately though i dont need it haha maybe in the future, car had a loud tapping noise up front turns out the spark plugs got messed up due to them sitting in oil Thanks to my leaking valve covers. Thanks anyways disnt think id get a reply

1 - 3 of 3 Posts