Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title state's i am going to do a 7mge swap into the 84 p type and i was wondering what i need to know before i go ahead and do this and how it all works out and everything else that i'll need beside the 7mge wire harness ecu and the tranny someone please let me know i wanna do my research before i do this and also a list of parts i'll needfrom the 5mge because i don't have a 5mge on hand the car is bare to the shell and i wanna know exactly what i'm going to have to go to a salvage yard for or find from someone on here a list of these items needed and other things needed to know let me know alirght thanks

Dan

·
Registered
479 Posts
Talk to Jeff Sawyer in SanteFe, NM. He did this. Local AZ guy has this also (Zaron) but used the 5m ECU - hate to say it, but it has always run not so well... maybe the key is the 7m ecu.. Good luck.. Jay B

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Swap is the same as GTE conversion.Same parts list,just N/A parts and maybe a few minor wiring mods.Any parts list depends on your budget,how nice it will look when done,and how many corners you are willing to cut to get there.
For starters,the 7mge with all it's related electrics,an 85-6 5mge oil pan is prefered,with matching oil pump,and a set of 5mge motor mounts.That much will get the engine in the car at least. :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You will need the following from the donor car:
- complete engine
- wiring harness
- ECU
- airflow meter
- inlet piping.

Physically installing the engine will be a piece of cake, except you will need to use a 5M sump and modify the oil pickup to suit. There have been plenty of write-ups on this for 7M-GTE conversions, so you won't have any problems sorting that out. Note that the 7M transmission is the same as a 5M transmission so you don't need to get this (unless you currently have no transmission at all).

The only real challenge here is sorting out the factory wiring and splicing it into your car, but 7M wiring isn't that complex so with a bit of patience you should be able to sort it out. It will help if you can get wiring diagrams for your car and the donor car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts