Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am ready to fire up my newly rebuilt / transplanted 7MGTE into my 84. Shawn built my harness and has been helping me work thru the problem, but I thought I would see if we're all on the same page.

I do not have any spark while cranking. CPS was removed and properly indexed just past the trigger while at TDC. 2 seperate coilpacks have been tried. Still no spark. Shawn and I are both thinking that the CPS is crap, as mine shows signs of external damage. Insight on checking to see if this is the case before spending $$.

Thanks, hopefully everyone had a safe holiday!

·
Registered
906 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Shawn! I'll let you know what I find out. Might have to have you dig out a used one from your shop is mine is shot.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CPS checks out. Both air gap between triggers and Ohm specs per TSM are all at 167 to 168. Specs are 140-180. Next on the list?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
are ur coil packs grounded? there should be one ground wire coming off of the coilpack mounting plate that needs to be grounded.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, coilpacks are properly grounded. I've even tried a second coilpack and still nothing. I will be checking for power at the coils, ignitor, etc tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
thats a pretty awsome mistake haha (ive made worse)

check power before u ask more ?s. were shooting in the dark here without knowing all the info.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
See if the CPS wires are brittle. I know more then a handful of people who have to wiggle their cracked CPS wires to get the car to start.

If you need to borrow a known working CPS, let me know, I have many.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Guys, Dave and I are in contact, he has a starting point of what to check. If it comes down to me checking exact power point on a car here again "can't find my notes from the last time I had to", I'll do that. :)

I've made a mistake ot 3 here and there, so, it's possible it was caused on my end. But, usualy, it's something small, quick and easy.

Dave, I'll be in the garage with a car apart tomorrow "friday the 1st", to help with diagnostics if needed. You have my digits :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
As of yesterday, this car runs :)

I'll let Dave fill you in, if he so chooses ...... Just have to ..... LMAO :D

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
Didn't plug the coil pack harness connector?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it runs! Shawn who you all know is an incrediable asset to this forum, we touched base on Saturday and worked thru the issues. I did in fact have the EFI fuse pulled to keep from flooding the cylinders with fuel while cranking to build oil pressure. Once I put it all back to gether, she fired right up. Still have a few minor issues to address, but the worst is behind me.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
ouch!..thats embarrassing...i would of said tht earlier but i figured thats the obvious 1st place to look and youve already did. sorry. At least you man'ed up and said it...someone will learn something from this...

notice earlier in the thread i said my cams were in backwards? that happened to me..at least i didnt do it.. thats the last time i payed someone to build my engine(2005) done it myself with friends ever since..btw SupraGuy31 aka..Robert figured out my cams situation...took me months of trouble shooting i replaced everything,new wiring harness, ignitor, ecu, cps etc etc..he figured it out in a week.

at least u guys figured it out in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Reality = I always have someone double check, my work, and test parts.

I didn't even think about "that" fuse.

I've left the fuseout of my sub-harness -- checked that. Unkown CPS test that, Double check continuity ... make sure I didn't have a cold solder joint, that failed while being packaged/unpackaged/installed.

I - try - to find fault from my end of the deal. So far, I have about a 2% "it's my fault" rate. I feel pretty good asbout that, and am just happy we can always seem to find a minor issue.

Lastly, I only brought it to the top again, to let everyone know he wasn't left hanging. I'm not here as often as I once was, but, it needs to known, I am still around :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts