Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
cartman said:
FYI, the STOP fuse is not for you brake lights. It sounds like you were getting that confused. I believe the STOP fuse is a source of power for the ECU, not sure though.
I would think a wire with the label "From STOP fuse" on the ECU would mean just that.

Sorta like the wire right below it "From ECU-IGN Fuse" would mean the fuse that is labeled "ECU-IGN".

I am no wiring "guru" or expert but unless the wiring diagrams from Toyota are wrong, or I am just not able to read them, but I did wire the 7MGTE in without to much trouble and its working like a charm.

Although I was surprised to see a "STOP fuse" goin to the ECU, why would it care if you hit the brakes ? The cruise control computer I can see needing to know.

Scott

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The ECU needs to know,so it can "idle up".... Stop lights create a voltage drop,rpm stabilizes from this signal.MKII alt. are not high output,may be one of many reasons Toyota upgraded amps in 87.
I looked at the books,so I could read it easier "for me' and this is my best educated guess on that wire.The cruise ECU needs the info to shut down,ECT for down shifting.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
thought id add that if you get rid of the oil filter 'elbow' for the stock oil cooler, and use one inline with the hoses for the relocation kit, you need to use the oil filter 'stud' from your old 5m block to thread into the 7m block and attach the relocation adapter to

·
Registered
89 Posts
wiring harness for conversion

Junkie said:
Thanks for the addition Funky.I haven't had a chance to work on my engine,or the write up for a couple weeks.

Again,ANYBODY with a few words of wisdom,please add to this.

I have noticed,since this was started,there have not been any questions about the swap.

I am planning on adding some pics also,just need to dig thru a couple hardrives :p
is there anybody out there that has a comprehensive schematice for the wiring harness for a 84 celica supra/87 7mgte conversion. I can do the wiring, just need to know which wire goes where.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'll be up front with you.If you want to do it totaly by yourself,read Andy's site,and figure out the differences,or find cartmans write up,and do the same.You'll need the electrical supplements from toyota for any and all years you have for engines,and anything different from what's is in those write ups.
Jim King and Myself,build custom sub-harness' for a price.With that come a certain aspect of trouble shooting.We know what we built,and can backtrack our work.I have personaly put one together wrong,but the end user was able to figure it out,check with me,and solve the problem.
Pretty much,figure out who....as in one person.....you are going to work with,that knows what they are talking about.That's the best advice I can give of all.

·
Founding Member
6,296 Posts
Junkie said:
With that come a certain aspect of trouble shooting.
And that cell phone number by itself is worth the price of two sub-harnesses.

·
Registered
47 Posts
5m starter on 7m

Will the 5m starter transfer to the 7mgte? I traded my 5m for a almost complete gte motor but didn't get everything needed for the swap. I have most of the bolt on accesories such as the alt, ps pump, and starter and such from the 5m. Know the ps, and the alt won't work though. The gte motor is missing the ps stuff, the alt, and a few other minor tidbits.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
5m and 7m starter are 1 and the same :p

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
since this recently came up and i also found out that the 82 ecu is totally different than any other year (83-91?[thanks toyota=/]) by my own trial and error, how exactly am i supposed to do the wiring on my 82 when dropping in an 88T? im sorry if this is a totally retarded question and has been answered before.

reffering to search yielded a 2 year old thread that didnt help me at all. let me make it clear that i thought you were supposed to use the stock 5m harness(with minor modification) that plugs into the 5m ecu for the 7mgte swap since all other years have the same plug style.

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
Almost every year ECU is different in Supras in some way. When you do the 7M swap you use the 7M ECU and harness for that year of 7M engine sensors. What you need to do is connect the relevant chassis connections to the 7M ECU. Most of these are various power, gauges, and fuel pump connections.

·
Registered
579 Posts
is the 84+ oil pan a must have?

·
Super Moderator
8,229 Posts
Not neccessarily, but it makes it much easier. The 85+ pan has a fitting for the stock Mk3 oil cooler return on it. It will also fit the 85 5M oil pump which will let you use that instead of having to mod the 7m oil pump pickup.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well sorry if this has been asked and answered but can an 82 supra with a 7M-GTE swap be legal, and if so, will it pass smog tests in california? Thanks

:)

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
homestar said:
Well sorry if this has been asked and answered but can an 82 supra with a 7M-GTE swap be legal, and if so, will it pass smog tests in california? Thanks

:)
Yes,it can me made legal,look for charlesq IIRC done by 935 motorsports.There are several cali members with legal swap,his is just the most recent IIRC.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
If I recall correctly

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you don't use the stock MKIII oil cooler, you can just put the Toyota oil
filter on the block without adapter, and no need for oil relocation kit that way
either. But you don't have the stock oil cooler. I was gonna say some pointers
but damn, you guys got a lot of them already said!

Oh, the best cooling I have found is a free flowing thermostat, and the
stock 7M-GTE engine fan (which needs to be trimmed not to hit the rad)

Also, the stock MKII guage reads higher than the MKIII guage, and a lot of
people think that the car is running hot, when it isn't. However, in warm
climates, the stock rad isn't enough, 7M or 5M.

Jeff

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Jeff,anything you can add is appreciated.I sure as hell don't know it all,and all contributions are welcome.My goal was/has been to get as much info in one thread as possible.I know since I wrote this,the repeat questions slowed way down.

21 - 40 of 279 Posts