Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 60 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Aww heck man, I haven't done a swap in over 3 years, I've forgotten SO much.
I know if I do another it'll come back to me, but that's all I could remember from
memory. Sounds silly, but almost all the work I do on my car (since it is a 7M)
is 7M related, I sometimes forget these cars didn't COME with a 7M :cool:.

Jeff

·
Registered
93 Posts
what needs to be done in order to fit an r154 trans in? will the mkII crossmember work? driveshaft? do you need to build a new tunnel?

·
Registered
93 Posts
thanx and i apologize as 9 just found a writeup under FAQ on it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Simple Question Need Simple Answer!

CANT FIND STRAIGHT ANSWER - having argument figured you guys will help!

WILL A 7MGTE engine bolt straight into a MKII 85 - current 5MGE

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
well im gona ask it here since this is probaly most closely related..

i have an 84 celica gt coupe, and two mkiii supra's. naturaly swaping in a gte i have a spare ge block ,

i plan to rebuild this block and drop it into my celica,

i know i will need to w58 flywheel from a non turbo supra,and clutch componetes.

as i read above to use the 5mge motor mounts for the mkii, but will this work in a celica which had the 22re?
i also have 2 7mgte 5psd harness i need to repair, and a 7mgte 5spd & auto ecu, i also curious how close the wiring is between the celica and mkii, because im unsure where a good tsrm is ...

this is my next project so i hope you plan to see me around more often!.

·
Super Moderator
8,313 Posts
as i read above to use the 5mge motor mounts for the mkii, but will this work in a celica which had the 22re?
No, you'll have to make your own mounts. You are going to find out that the wheel base of the Celica is shorter than the Mk2.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Actualy,IIRC,you still use the 5m mounts,and rework the x-member to get one in a celica or a truck.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
As I stated it's IIRC "if I recall correctly".I'm going on 5 yo memory.The last non-Supra vehicles anyone local installed a 7mgte in,that I had any involvement in,was 5+ years ago.1. was a 4x2 truck,he used 5m mounts and a custom built x-member.The guy is/was a mechanical engineer,and was VERY anal about fitment.2. was a 74ish corona sw,and iirc again,he also used the 5m mounts and still had to use spacer plates to make it fit.I don't have acess to either vehicle,so I'm telling you what I remember.
How about ..... use search,find the guys in PA/VA or wherever that just did it last summer,and ask them directly what they used.Or,get a set of each mount,test fit yourself,tell us the final outcome.Or,bring me the car/engine etc. and a blank check book,I'll tell you what it takes when I'm done and your bank account is empty ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Man i wish this was all compiled to one post. I am having to read 6 pages + and i am getting a little confused on whats true and what to do

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'll try to clean up my original post someday ;)

Till then,Have a specific question or two ???

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
well i hope so, but till then, im gona be savin for my swap, when i get the pan i bought, i'll consider pulling the 22r for a few days to do measurements on where the mounts need to go and be made,

i might make adaptors so i dont have to modifie the crossmember, but i'll see when the dam day comes!

·
Registered
673 Posts
might be a stupid question sorry but will a 7m match up to my 5m tranny?

·
Registered
673 Posts
haha cool thanks for not givin me shit :)

41 - 60 of 279 Posts