Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
so I've got myself waist deep into the 7m swap and i have run into a couple questions that i dont really know what i want to do about.
first off: my goals
I'm hoping to be able to put down 400 whp when all said and done (obviously not this spring :p)
I want to keep the swap clean so no massive flashy turbo or covers and what not. plus i dont have the money for an aftermarket big turbo (i'd rather spend what i have on other stuff first, like getting my erubini kit molded and painted up:thumbsup:)
I'm basically looking to have the car on the road with good power (reliably) for the 2010 summer, so i can give myself a break in period to how the car will behave. I know the basis of what i need and im looking ahead to what i want to do while the motor is on a stand rather than breaking knuckles laying under it.

What I'm planning on using for now:
88 7mgte, W-58 trans, feramic clutch and aluminum flywheel,
raptors Down pipe and 3" exhaust all the way back to the magna flow muffler, Map ECU2 (like the features available), 2.5" intercooler piping and a small intercooler (about stock size), with the hks ssqv bov (once i figure out how to remove maf with the map ecu. (I'm probably forgetting something and ill update when i remember)

My Questions:
I've been reading up of the 7m block and many people say 400hp for the stock 7m is no problem but will it last?
the car will be a daily driven summer car (canada sucks that way :p) so will the stock internals be enough or should i go forged? if so, what do you guys recommend?

(food for later thought) I've seen much controversy over the Map ECU2, something to do with the boost controller solenoid and people say the limit of it is around 400hp. Will the Map be good enough alone or would i be better off buying other aftermarket supports? (Greddy seems to have some nice stuff). I'm more focused on the internals right now so i may have just read wrong while skimming some threads.
Any insight is greatly appreciated and I know I'm probably missing info just because I'm me and i forget things.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
If you want a really good idea what it will take to do 400 whp reliably, sign up on supramania.com and read peoples build threads. SOOO much more 7m build info over there.

Then just apply it to the swap.

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
You wont get to 400 horse with a stock turbo. So figure in a nice 57 or 60 trim upgrade, if you want to stay stock appearing. +1 on what scott said. Also, try to go to a meet and wrangle a ride in a turbo car. You might be happy at 275 horse, or 350 horse, or whatever.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have looked but its so gay the search function wont work without a membership... oh and waiting for the admin to let you use it is kinda gay too... but I am patiently waiting, and while i was i hoped maybe some of the mk2 guys with 7ms could help out with some answers... and the stock turbo is only going to be there until i can afford the upgrade (was debating the 57 trim, or go aftermarket)... but thanks for the heads up on supramania

·
Premium Member
6,112 Posts
When I planned my build-starting 7 years ago now-I planned on lower power outputs (250-300)because I was going to daily drive my car. At that time, a 400 horse daily driver MK2 was a fantasy, most cars making that power werent driven much. Nowadays, things have changed. If the Map ECU is equivalent to the MAF-T pro, then you should be able to make 350-400 at the wheels, and still be daily drivable-You will want a larger than stock turbo, intercooler, and injectors, but the way has been paved for you.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im pretty sure the map ecu2 is equivalent but they both have their own features... What I'm really concerned about is that bottom end... and I've been looking through supramania a little more and I've noticed that they tend to get into 1j vs 7m battles in almost every thread so theres no real concise answers... just blurbs between arguments... aaron at raptor racing told me the stock internals should hold my 400 hp so i think im just going to do rings, and arp fasteners and hope that the motor wasnt beat up too bad before me...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts